Retro Trends

I like the trend of what I call "hot rodding" The recent gold Pace was the perfect example. A mix of old and new to produce something brand new.
Oh and you can actually ride it without bits of bling being scattered along the trail behind you.

Ah like the name "Hot Rodding" - very apt.

Personally I dont like those kind of builds... look wrong - mixing old tech with new just doesnt make sense in the bicycle world.. :?

jez-4-bikes-max":3iusro88 said:
Ah like the name "Hot Rodding" - very apt.

Personally I dont like those kind of builds... look wrong - mixing old tech with new just doesnt make sense in the bicycle world.. :?

Depends on how you do it. For my Beast of the East, I fitted the XT-730 hubs with a 9spd XT hub body and a Sram cassette. Derailleurs are still Deore DX, but the shifters are Dura Ace bar-cons and Paul Thumbies. The rest of the bike is DX cantilevers and CODA levers and other period stuff. If I didn't tell you the bike was 9 speed, chances are you'd never see it. :cool:

The result is a bike that looks completely period, but has the gearing benefits of 9 speed and the technology of a modern drivetrain.

Hey, I love 7 and 8 speed as much as the next guy, but 9 speed is damn nice, (if not the most durable).

Now, if you put a 100mm travel fork on a 15 year old Zaskar, and fit it with outboard bearing bottom bracket/cranks, carbon bars and Sram X-0 all around, well then that's just tacky! :LOL:

In my view, benefiting from modern technology is a good thing, but not at the expense of what the original bike was designed to be.

re: hotrodding

I don't care to much for trends, I know what I like. The idea of using 9speed with the looks of yesterday is okay, but I don't see the point. I don't get around a xc track faster with 9gears then 8. And the granny ring is just a waste of time.

For me, if u have an old frame and u think it thru, you could build a great racer that could compete with a modern bike. Offcourse a Scale Ltd will be lighter, but on the other hand u could buy a lot of old junk for the price of one frame...

I would like to see even more good "rider" bikes in the forum, why not put discs on an old zaskar? it all depends on what u'r gonna use it for...

Back