Retro bike upgrade questions

Bosa

Retro Newbie
Hello, people, I'm new to the world of DIY bikes so wondered if I could ask some (most likely) constantly asked questions, I've just gotten back from a 500 plus mile trip around the SE coast of the UK and it got me mad into bikepacking.

I'm looking for a retro bike to turn into a little bit of a gravel/mountain bike. In order to do this I would need to find:

.An 18" steel frame with a straightish crossbar
.A headset able to take modern threadless forks (for mounting kit for travelling)
.The option for bigger wheels
.I want it to be cheapish (Have seen good stuff for around £70-£150)

I have been looking mainly at The Diamondback-Sorrento and the Specialized Rockhopper Comp

I have been told varying info on the headset of them being 1-1/8th inch however and I'm starting to get very confused.

I wonder if anyone knows any specific years that the above features apply to or know of any other bikes that have said features.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful!

Thanks!

bigger wheels.. as in just fatter tyre or moving to 700c ?

why a straight crossbar (aka horizontal/not sloping top tube) ?

You'll only be looking for 1 1/8" headtube, but they will not take modern forks, they will take moderner forks. Modern forks have some weird multisized bigger headsets now ;-) Only joking they do still make them, but not as common.
Also what sort of modern forks, you don't want to be putting the long modern forks on the old bikes really.) boingy ones? disc tab ones ?

I'd be looking around 1994 to 1997
But generally 1992+ shoudl get you 1 1/8" headtube, though do check as some didn't use it till later.

If you've seen what you like. stick some links up.

I assume you want eyelets for racks and stuff ?

FluffyChicken":2kfqbjb7 said:
bigger wheels.. as in just fatter tyre or moving to 700c ?

why a straight crossbar (aka horizontal/not sloping top tube) ?

You'll only be looking for 1 1/8" headtube, but they will not take modern forks, they will take moderner forks. Modern forks have some weird multisized bigger headsets now ;-) Only joking they do still make them, but not as common.
Also what sort of modern forks, you don't want to be putting the long modern forks on the old bikes really.) boingy ones? disc tab ones ?

I'd be looking around 1994 to 1997
But generally 1992+ shoudl get you 1 1/8" headtube, though do check as some didn't use it till later.

If you've seen what you like. stick some links up.

I assume you want eyelets for racks and stuff ?

Amazing thanks for all the help!

This is the issue, I'm thinking half these needs are clear cut but obviously there are tonnes of options out there. I want the best available stuff I suppose on an old bike, I would love disks but know it will be hard on rear and front is kinda dangerous as for forks I just need flatter ones with mounting points yeah. Il post some pics up of ones I've seen.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Special ... %7Ciid%3A1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diamond-Back ... SwTjdfUiI3

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

flatter forks ?

forks start and end at the same point, within reason. Not sure what you mean ?

Do you mean straight bladed forks ? I assume just for the looks ?

Plenty of old, correct length forks in that style.

best available does not go well with your cheap unfortunately. A set of forks can easily be that much, modern new ones way more.

I agree, not much point putting suspension forks on a bike if you then load the legs with luggage. The higher unsprung weight stops the fork from working well.
Any Trek, Marin or Specialized should do the job well. Marins always seem popular for touring. Konas are great but have more steeply sloping top tubes.

This thread on Retro MTB touring is worth a read.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=258143

You would only put light items on the front pannier and the heavier stuff on the back end, bar, or frame. If I was spending a long days in the saddle bikepacking I wold want suspension and i'd also fit suspension post too. Just my opinion.

Re:

This is my Timberline (I will sale it because I don´t use it as much as I would like to do :( ). There is plenty of space to put a biger tire but you have to find the proper fork. Check GT steel frames, they are nice for any pourpouses.

Attachments

• 20200715_202225 (Medium).jpg
    20200715_202225 (Medium).jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 1,233
Sorry guys I'm not being very clear am I? As I said I'm using second-hand knowledge and stuff I've picked up only recently so apologies if I'm not using the right terms or being very confusing.

In relation to flat forks @retrobike rider, I mean in profile with mounting lugs like that on modern gravel bikes rather than a circular tube fork, this means when I put luggage on it has more surface area and doesn't flop about and twist into the wheels.

In terms of suspension, I actually want straight forks rather than suspension, this won't be slammed on rocky trails just more of an adventure/go-anywhere bike.

As for the best kit, I only mean in regards to more modern and compatible stuff and maybe a more modern twist on an old classic bike

As for tyres, I mean fatter rather than "bigger" I don't want huge fat tyres just a decent amount of space.

If anyone got any examples id really appreciate seeing them and once again really appreciate the time you guys are giving me so thanks!

Back