Retro Bike as main squeeze?

Re:

My youngest bike is a 2007 spesh fsr xc with discs and fox forks and its the one i use the least !
The bike i seem to grab is the parts bin 94 M Trax , it just seems to fit well and is comfortable to ride .
My only problem with retro stuff now is that the riding position seems tuff ,
although 15 years and another 6 stone do cloud the issue :oops: i cant cope with the 135 mm stems and very low front ends anymore so end up with risers etc , mind you i did hear an 80mm stem described as long the other day !
As the building and parts swopping and hunting are all a part of my retro ways and for the little riding i actually get to do a new bike is not for me .
Paul

Re: Re:

Gaddmeister":2u0hu0nz said:
If you are all justifying modern bikes as the best thing, why are you on this site? To show off? Don't get it. We rode hard trails bitd and challenged ourselves and I certainly enjoyed every bike I had from Explosive through to Pace RC-200. Had four kids, not ridden for 13 years and now back see no difference. You will say try a modern bike, but am happy to carry on where I left off. Modern bikes are like modern cars......boring! Yes they are faster, but where's the pleasure? Thinking about your line and thinking ahead is the real adrenaline buzz, not how fast you can go without a sore bum!

Why am I on this site? I like looking at old bikes, nothing to do with showing off. Wouldn't want to ride retro all the time though, things have moved on.

Since getting a couple of appropriately sized brand new 29ers the retros do get out less. But I am 6'3" and 18st. The new ones undoubtedly make things easier, faster and more forgiving.

Sorry.

They do.

The kit doesn't feel as bombproof though.

Re:

For me, it's the retro. The bombproof frame does everything I need like commuting, shopping, allotment and the bonkers fun stuff. Fits like a glove and has evolved as I've upgraded parts. Have taken the old bits off (apart from the old thumbies) and keep the bike running with choice of modern kit that fits retro style. Have no need for a 'Power Ranger' bike. If I could afford to get a modern bike, I'd may be go for a bespoke rigid steel frame or an affordable frame from a brand, then build my own choice of bike around it. Something classic, lighter, fast, simple to maintain.

Well, currently bashing some trails with my clockwork. To be honest it seems fine. The only areas I'd really like to be able to improve the performance would be the forks (old Q21s not really delivering much), and the brakes. The canti's aren't right brilliant to be honest. I remember them being better, but I guess I've got a few more lbs to stop now too.

I must admit, I'm having lustings for new bikes, however when I'm actually out (not on forums) I'm pretty happy on my clockwork.

gusman2x":3enl9015 said:
Well, currently bashing some trails with my clockwork. To be honest it seems fine. The only areas I'd really like to be able to improve the performance would be the forks (old Q21s not really delivering much), and the brakes. The canti's aren't right brilliant to be honest. I remember them being better, but I guess I've got a few more lbs to stop now too.

I must admit, I'm having lustings for new bikes, however when I'm actually out (not on forums) I'm pretty happy on my clockwork.

I do too but the funds don't allow. Despite its few little quirks, I'm happy to keep rolling with my Clockwork till I drop off me perch. I took the old cantis off (dia compe 986) because I couldn't find the replacement springs. They were very good at stopping but just took bleedin' forever fiddling about to set them up correctly. So I upgraded to a set of Avid Digit 5's and replaced their pads with Aztec Grippers (72mm long) for V-brakes. Had the full set fixed up in under 10 mins and working right first time. Although they're black and not in nice shiny silver, the Avids do stop me on a six pence, no messing about :cool:

For a change, I've just fitted some 2.0 Onza Canis (dual compound). Most of today's tyres are just too fat for the Clockwork's old frame. On Mavic XM317s, the Onzas come out quite narrow at 46mm wide, well under the 2.0 size. But they certainly do the job – grippy but very fast – taken about 25 mins off my normal commute times :D

Re:

I have owned/ridden many new bikes nearly all made me feel cold :)

And i like being different and not being a sheep ;)

groovyblueshed":3379weqx said:
I do too but the funds don't allow. Despite its few little quirks, I'm happy to keep rolling with my Clockwork till I drop off me perch. I took the old cantis off (dia compe 986) because I couldn't find the replacement springs. They were very good at stopping but just took bleedin' forever fiddling about to set them up correctly.

For a change, I've just fitted some 2.0 Onza Canis (dual compound). Most of today's tyres are just too fat for the Clockwork's old frame. On Mavic XM317s, the Onzas come out quite narrow at 46mm wide, well under the 2.0 size. But they certainly do the job – grippy but very fast – taken about 25 mins off my normal commute times :D

Yeah, setting up the canti's is a proper nightmare. I'm also thinking that the tyres on the bike (modern continentals) are way to fat. OK for when it's reasonably dry, but I think they'll get clogged up in the chainstays really fast when it's muddy.

Any recommendations from anyone regarding forks that would provide some more forking?

Re:

My 704XT is my first choice as it's so light, quick, responsive and a sheer joy to ride.

When I fancy modern it's my 1996/7 P7 - that's modern, right?! It's has V brakes 'n everything....

Back