Retro? 2003 Trek 1200 (meets 1990 Trek 1400)

Re:

Well I think that might be the 1200 finished. My usual late night kitchen shot doesn't do it any favours but it's tidy enough... Looks pretty nice I think actually. Fingers crossed for a dry day tomorrow to take it for a proper ride!

Attachments

• 42451D14-9F23-4356-966B-8EAC1DA68B5F.jpeg
    42451D14-9F23-4356-966B-8EAC1DA68B5F.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 158
Did a familiar route on the 1200 today and I like it. Main thing is it's definitely the fastest bike I own - which on its own is a fairly compelling reason to keep it. Add to that the fact that it fits like a glove and everything works beautifully - it stays.

The older 1400 feels and looks nicer but does not fit as well nor go quite so fast. I'm going to list it for sale in a bit. I'd love to keep both but I have a silly number of bikes and I'd like a bit more space. Can't think of a justification for keeping both.

Captain Stupido":33uo6bsv said:
I'd love to keep both but I have a silly number of bikes and I'd like a bit more space. Can't think of a justification for keeping both.

Keep the 1200 for summer best road use, and have the 1400 as a winter/gravel/pub bike?

This thread deserves an update.

Keep the 1200 for summer best road use, and have the 1400 as a winter/gravel/pub bike?

The lovely 1400 sold a little while back, the newer bike fitted better and the older one was never going to work in the suggested role as it was strictly a summer frame (no mudguard eyes, limited tyre clearance etc.) With tweaks I could have made it work for me as a summer best bike but I decided to leave it original and find it a more appropriate home.

This meant the Stronglight compact chainset was available again... Fitting it to the 1200 took a while to get round to as I had BB issues (I forget what) and ended up buying a (surprisingly decent) brand new Acor unit.

With the compact fitted the 1200 has helped me conquer a few mega hills around here, but has only really had occasional, albeit enjoyable, use. I had some issues with the front shifter setup which (together with winter) put me off riding it a bit, but I have just sorted that this evening so it will be ready for some spring rides soon.

I did try fitting a rack but gave up due to the rack stays fouling on the seat stays. Another rack might work. This has got enough eyelets and bosses for a full set of rack and mudguards which could make it a bit more useful but for the time being it's staying in its current state - not only my fastest bike, but my lightest at 9.8kg.

8E408F89-519C-4582-9970-48AE899F2ABA.jpeg

Back