Retro? 2003 Trek 1200 (meets 1990 Trek 1400)

hamster":32yjaxyy said:
On fit, remember that a higher stem has the same effect of shortening reach. You might have a bit of upward movement left on that quill stem..?

That's a good point - it could come up a bit and I'm sure that would help... but I expect it'll still be a bit of a stretch. Good short term tweak though.

MR OX":32yjaxyy said:
Really like the 1400. I rebuilt one from a bundle of parts found at the tip, I loved it but it was way to big for me :(

Nice! Yeah, I think this era of Trek stuff is a bit under-appreciated really. The company wouldn't be as huge as they are now if they weren't getting it right back then.

Nice bike and that's some impressive job your'e doing with it. I bought myself a 2006 Trek 1500 SLR and I'm really happy with the purchase because it was finally a XL size frame that I could feel comfortable on.

I had a really great experience with Trek's customer support when I was in desperate search of a new headset. After no results I decided that I wouldn't hurt to write to Trek's customer service about the headset. To my wonder they answered me the next day.

They forwarded me to Trek's German representative and after a few days the right headset was already on the way to me. It took two weeks for delivery but I would have never-ever believed that writing to Trek's customer service in USA would get me an original part for a 2006 bike. Amazing!

Re:

:D

Was going to get it finished today but other stuff has been getting in the way. Maybe tomorrow... Made a bit of progress late last night - nearly there!

Attachments

• 806F0D38-74A0-4413-9147-0FF092A421AB.jpeg
    806F0D38-74A0-4413-9147-0FF092A421AB.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 339
Re:

Brakes cabled up and started on the gears. I've a problem with the right hand brifter - the cable barrel is popping out while shifting. Compared to the left hand one (which is a solid cylinder shape) there's something amiss with the socket, although it's hard to see whether this is by damage or design. Clearly it's not right but it looks a bit neat to have just broken.

I've tried to take some photos of the issue but struggling to get a clear one. Am considering gluing the barrel in place to save having to replace the unit.

Was hoping to take it for a ride today. :facepalm:

Oh well. So it goes. :cool:

Attachments

• DEACD4B2-5161-4C62-965D-9316BACD512D.jpeg
    DEACD4B2-5161-4C62-965D-9316BACD512D.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 6D696933-932A-4E3C-A95B-1F7BF27EF333.jpeg
    6D696933-932A-4E3C-A95B-1F7BF27EF333.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 326
Sorry about the blurry upside down pictures. Here's one of the LHS.

Attachments

• 7C0B9915-0662-4BFE-8A97-C28FD47A6854.jpeg
    7C0B9915-0662-4BFE-8A97-C28FD47A6854.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 325
Well... in the end I just took a punt on some secondhand brifters off eBay. This has turned out to be an expensive rebuild.

Good news is although the cable anchoring bits look the same as the old ones the replacement r/h unit works OK. Not sure what (if anything) was wrong with the original. I might just have been doing something silly.

This morning I got it to the point where I could ride it round the block. Pleased that the mech works OK with the big rear cog (needed the "b" screw all the way in). Oh, I noticed that the cassette is loose on the freehub - needs a spacer (must be a 10 speed wheel).

The verdict so far? Bloody soulless modern thing. Feels far too efficient, stiff and well balanced. Drivetrain is way slicker than I'm used to, too. It's definitely not "me" (although it absolutely fits like a glove) but maybe it'll grow on me?

Attachments

• E55FA40B-F1B6-468E-978B-9E8E2D0058B7.jpeg
    E55FA40B-F1B6-468E-978B-9E8E2D0058B7.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 188
Looks very tidy. I think you are suffering the 'Ford Focus Effect' - like climbing out of a 70s sports car into a diesel Focus - which is faster, grippier, better-handling - in fact does everything better but is just a bit dull by comparison.

I think the cable problem (if I understand your issue right) is that it needs the constant tension of the rear mech. If you try to exercise it without the mech spring pulling on the cable it all goes horribly wrong.

Re:

Thanks, and yeah I think you're probably right on both counts.

Although seeing as I'm cycling for pleasure it's not yet clear cut which bike to keep... The newer bike does seem to do everything exceptionally well but the old one makes me smile.

I think I need to put some miles (and bar tape) on this one before deciding.

Found a spacer attached to an LX parallax hub.

OT: They always seem to have one and I haven't really worked out why. There IS limited wiggle room to get the tool engaged to get the cassette lockring off without - maybe that's why?

Anyway I find them more useful for adapting modern 10 speed wheels for 8/9 speed use...

Job done. Also tweaked rear mech. Nice quiet precise shifting in the stand. Tweaked a spoke or two on the rear wheel while I was at it.

Got a bit frustrated with the chain - sizing with a short cage mech and wide range cassette is tricky. I feel like it could do with another link removed but it would be bloody tight on big-big. It's ok as-is. In the pic above it's on small-small - chain is pretty slack but -just about- held in tension by the mech springs.

Not far off perfect now, minus bar tape...

Attachments

• 58FFD75F-BDA6-4A3E-91F6-7F93D069FD98.jpeg
    58FFD75F-BDA6-4A3E-91F6-7F93D069FD98.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 139
Back