Restoring components. What have you done lately?

I passed on the rust remover as I heard it stains the steel black. Brass wire wheel (steel could have been faster) and some rubbing alcohol to add contrast to the stained bits. I used 2 batteries for the drill and went through a full brass wheel, I'll go back over some of the previous springs, took a while to figure out how well it worked with a little more time & the alcohol really made it easy to focus on the nasty portions. 20240206_180757.jpg
20240206_193641.jpg

I'm constantly restoring old bits it seems. Just finished a complete strip down of an Araya RM17 wheelset with Shimano M730/732 Hubs. Polished up all the metal bits, new bearings, two new cones on the front. Rims cleaned and polished. All regreased and re-laced, balanced and trued.

I also found out recently that Hycote black car bumper spray is great for restoring the finish on brake levers... Did a couple of M73* sets of these and was pleased with the results.

What have you done there? Sleeved it?
The saddle clamp was loose, so removed that and with a lathe, turned the top of the seatpost to remove the high spots. Micro weld the crack, Then 638 the clamp back into the post. Car body filler on the indents/hole, wet and dry, spray black. Not completely catalogue, but not bad after only paying £12 for the post.

This week I’ve made two working XT hub sets out of three, replaced pitted cones, some egg shaped balls and binned two of the bodies with damaged cups. No before images but their condition was really bad, gunk covered, corroded (you can still tell from the area around the logos), bearings hardly moved. 32 and 36 hole, 130 and 135 mm. Still two XT wheel sets in the basement, one 26’ and the other 28’, so I’m prepared for whatever may occur, but in fact I have no use for them 🤨(plus a nos XT front hub), not worth the effort putting them up for sale, just for some peace of mind 😌

PXL_20240209_150958064.jpg

This week I’ve made two working XT hub sets out of three, replaced pitted cones, some egg shaped balls and binned two of the bodies with damaged cups. No before images but their condition was really bad, gunk covered, corroded (you can still tell from the area around the logos), bearings hardly moved. 32 and 36 hole, 130 and 135 mm. Still two XT wheel sets in the basement, one 26’ and the other 28’, so I’m prepared for whatever may occur, but in fact I have no use for them 🤨(plus a nos XT front hub), not worth the effort putting them up for sale, just for some peace of mind 😌

View attachment 819288
It's surprisingly satisfying to get them spinning smoothly again :D

Back