Replacing mech limit screws with something more colourful?

Re: Replacing mech limit screws with something more colourfu

jimo746":1k95h3zc said:
What size are we talking about for those limit screws again? And I assume the cabel clamp bolt is an M6?

Limit screws are M4, can't remember the thread pitch for certain but it's the standard one for M4 (0.7 rings a bell). For the limit screws you may need a slightly longer length than the original bolts since the larger head of the allen bolts might mean they won't screw down as far as the standard screws do.

The cable bolts and the front mech clamp bolts are M5 (M6 is brake boss size). Probably worth confirming with the Shimano exploded diagram for your mech though, if it's Shimano.

Fatal Swan":gxbo2oxg said:
Limit screws are M4, can't remember the thread pitch for certain but it's the standard one for M4 (0.7 rings a bell).

yep 0.7 mm - came up when I googled M4 Ti grub screws - so standard M4.

The cable bolts and the front mech clamp bolts are M5 (M6 is brake boss size). Probably worth confirming with the Shimano exploded diagram for your mech though, if it's Shimano.

hmmm, Shimano XTR are M6 since I recall using a 5 mm allen key recently but SRAM are M5 - use 4mm allen key.

02gf74":2utoex8y said:
Fatal Swan":2utoex8y said:

hmmm, Shimano XTR are M6 since I recall using a 5 mm allen key recently but SRAM are M5 - use 4mm allen key.
Are you sure? Maybe it depends on the model then, because the M960 front and rear mechs are definitely M5 for the cable bolts, and the clamp bolt on the front mech (and they seem to be the same size as every other Shimano mech I've had):

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 608842.pdf

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 609159.pdf

Bolts of the same size (Mx) don't always take the same allen key fitting: the Shimano M5 bolts I removed take a larger allen key size than the alloy M5 bolts I replaced them with.

XTR front mech now finished too.

Attachments

• XTR Front Red2.jpg
    XTR Front Red2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 147
  • XTR Front Red1.jpg
    XTR Front Red1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 147

Aluminium is fine for this. It may slightly wear where it rubs against the cage stop, over a long period of time.

^^^ one thing I've not done is use alloy for the cage clamps - let me know if you get any problems - should the bolt give way, it could result in expense and frame damage hence why I have stuck with Ti.

Thanks for starting this thread, quite informative, and I've now got a load of bolts on their way to me that I never knew I needed before :facepalm:

:LOL:

Back