Record Strada triple 51/41/31 what front derailleur to use?

Jockdeboer

Retro Newbie
I have a Record Strada triple 51/41/31. I have found conflicting info on what front derailleur to use. Some say it must be a triple and some say the regular double will work. I found the correct bb though info provided on this site. I have a Bob Freemen long cage for the rear so I have a 32 for the rear.

Yes. The shifter is friction. Just not sure if the front derailleur needs to be a triple or will the regular work.

I think the regular campag front mech for a NR double would struggle with the 51-31 jump and catch the rear roller.?

IME, most front derailleurs will handle a triple in terms of swing, as long as the big ring isn't too far out, i.e. the spindle isn't too long.

As for the jump, I've successfully managed to shift a 50-36 double with the NR front. FWIW.

Have you got a 51 - 41 - 31 set of rings or is that what you would like ?
As far as I'm aware they only made a 36t inner . I've run 36 -50 with a Nuovo and it would do it but wasn't keen , hence the new cage for this one .
Obviously a 36 -52 should be possible but......eek ! P1060359.JPG P1060358.JPG

Sorry slightly better pic . The orange pencil is touching the top of the teeth of the inner 36 , so the chain will actually be even lower ....
P1060360.JPG

Back