Record Sprint and 105 Groupset

You were probably just unlucky with the head tube, as the RRS had the exact same frame and I've not heard of an epidemic of broken 'aerospace contour' frames

I had the Quasar's 'brother', the Pulsar (gas pipe tubing and lower spec) back in 1985, and between then and 1989 went through no fewer than 4 frames under the 15 year guarantee. (broken brake bridge on 2, and a failed BB on one)

The last time it was changed Raleigh themselves called me and said that the LBS had submitted the claim but they had no Pulsar frames left (it had been discontinued in 1986) so I would have to have something different and respray the original forks to match. I wasn't best pleased, and between Raleigh and myself we realised that they no longer fitted a rear mech hanger on their low end frames in 1989, and as my rear mech needed one we were 'stuck'. After some discussion they said that they would replace my frame with that of the Raleigh Criterium which was Reynolds 501, which I was pretty chuffed about...

Therefore imagine my surprise when a week later I went to collect my bike and discovered that they had managed to 'find' the last Pulsar frame they had, and had used that instead, but it had no decals applied to it (it looked awful)

With no Pulsar decals available, they found a set of Quasar ones, which were duly fitted.

I still have the frame today, albeit the decals are long gone

So I think it was standard practice of Raleigh to replace broken frames with whatever they had left, which sometimes meant a completely different colour scheme. (back in those days a 15 year guarantee on frame and forks meant lots of model changes happened in the guarantee period)

Does your frame have twin bottle mounts on it, and the space shuttle decal on the seat tube?

Yeah, I always attributed the headtube cracking to the frame not being strong enough to withstand heavy use of the front brake, even though I'm pretty sure back in those days I was more of a rear-braker...

Don't think I was aware at the time that there was an aero version of the RRS anyway - that would have softened the blow if I'd been given that. So there's no space shuttle decal on it, which I assume was just for the aero ones? - as for the bottle mounts, hard to say. There prob was two, but because the mahoosive pump I used fitted best alongside the seattube, I only ever used one. I still have the old aero bottle and cage lying around the garage actually - can't bear to part with it, even though you could probably fill it to the brim with the sweat squeezed from your shorts at the end of a ride...

It sounds like your bike was a bit of a Trigger's broom anyway... Not really the ideal situation is it - 15-year guarantee sounds great until you end up with a badly resprayed pair of forks to match it and problems fitting the existing components. You can't help thinking that for all the labour involved it would've been cheaper for them just to give you a complete new bike...

My thoughts entirely, but Raleigh clearly had other ideas!

As for your bike, get some pics up, and I should be able to pinpoint which variant of the RRS you have!

Re:

Brakes!
New ones will be of the allen key type. Will those fit your frame. I would have thought that the bike originally had the nut type.

Re:

Dude, spending £500 or so on modern parts and a restore of a Record Sprint with an iffy frame is just plain nuts. (Sorry.)

Re: Re:

mattsccm":w1i6bopk said:
Brakes!
New ones will be of the allen key type. Will those fit your frame. I would have thought that the bike originally had the nut type.

Unlikely, but there is always a work around

Re: Re:

Al3xander":3n4ssdln said:
Dude, spending £500 or so on modern parts and a restore of a Record Sprint with an iffy frame is just plain nuts. (Sorry.)

None taken :) Yeah, I can see your point though - although the parts are £300, not £500 (though I do need new wheels and handlebars too). Or could save money and just use wheels from my Trek when that's off the road during winter... Before I do anything though, I'll be stripping the paint this weekend, hopefully, to check the condition. There are quite a few heavy rust patches but they all feel really solid so I think KuRust should sort them. But my feeling is that the bike always suffered from poor componentry on a decent frame, so spending just a little bit more for some decent parts could be worth it. In theory, I'd be spending a similar amount of money as if I was to buy that £400 Argos carbon one, and I think I know which one I'd rather have.

BUT... as Matt has helpfully pointed out, I hadn't reckoned on the brake fittings... Once I get the bike stripped and receive the bits, I'll have a look and see if it's doable. Could always fit more standard anchors though and just use the geartrain stuff - could recoup £60 or so for the brakes on ebay.

It's gonna be an interesting project - I was a fairly competent mechanic when I was riding this (before it went off the road late 90s) but since I started riding again about five years ago with my lovely Trek 5500, I haven't done much tinkering at all and the technology has come on in leaps and bounds in the meantime so there's a lot to learn!

Pics to follow - be kind...

Here we go - I hate hoying stuff away so the absence of a front wheel shows how bad that must have been...

EDIT: hmm, they're a bit small, aren't they... Sorry about that - sometimes posting anything bigger than 100kb on forums is so much aggro that I decided to send the pics from my phone as small as poss to do it quicker (I'm supposed to be working now... :D ) And sorry about the head-turning ones too...

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 433
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 433
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 433
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 433
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 433
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 433
1988 Record Sprint:

Will definitely benefit from a full strip down, and it's probably best to get the frame back to bare metal to establish how far the rust has got..

Decals wise, I've never seen these ones reproduced, but I can give you access to the 1987 ones, which, given the fact the bike isn't exactly what it appears to be would give it a presence, and aren't completely out of keeping!

Wow, that looks so good... Good to know anyway, thx. I'll let you know about the decals assuming I do decide to go ahead with the respray - what do the 87 ones look like then?

Just investigating black paint now - can choose from matt, satin, metallic or gloss. Presume that gloss might be closest to original? Or maybe there's summat to be said for metallic?!

Back