Recommend me a 'fast' bike

If you like steel, fast bikes and you have a weak spot for Colnago, I can recommend you to take a Master Extra Light or Master Olympic frame with modern parts. I'm riding a 1998 Master XL with Sram Force group and that rides like a cannonball. And even for the mountains it's ok, just screw the wheel to it's closest position and you have a short wheelbase bike. I love the ride of it. What size are you looking for?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03bvhtghfhv0w ... t.jpg?dl=0

That Mercian is utterly amazing! I am going to look at the website now!

Quill stem look fab - is it a murex ?

jono63 wrote:
That Mercian is utterly amazing! I am going to look at the website now!

Quill stem look fab - is it a murex ?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks very much for the compliment, that's if it was towards my Mercian .
It's a bit rough looking to say the least and I am hoping to get it resprayed one day as its completely covered in chips, they stand out as the undercoat is white :facepalm:
In this guise it's very much a parts bin special from whatever I had around. Stem and bars are 3TTT and the status stem is missing the black cover on the bolt.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=356692

Re:

Thanks again for all the suggestions, quite a mixed bag I must say, got google on overdrive at the moment!
Seems like 631/653 frames make few appearances.

Jamie, that's a lovely bike you've got there, chips and all.

@WimVDD My old Master was exactly this, I was running 6700 Ultegra on it. Now I'm after something in around 52 cm. Great colour and build on your Master.

Attachments

• IMG_5607.JPG
    IMG_5607.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 375
Nob: That machine looks fast and responsive sitting still, parked. I would love to ride it but know I couldn't do anything like that justice.

I too had a Master Olympic, it rode similar I thought to my Merckx and as the Merckx is my all time favourite, it's not perfect by any ones standard but it fits and rides just right for me, this along with a sentimental attachment as I have had it from new so will never leave just meant the enthusiasm for the lovely Colnago just never went as high as even I thought it should.
It was a strange relationship that one, it was a beauty and something I wanted for a while but it just didn't happen. It may also have been that I wanted to own one and in hindsight, that thought is very different to riding one.
Lovely though it was ;)

Jamie

DSC_0035 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Robert Millar reckons the C40 was the best bike he ever rode according to legend.
Got to be worth a look on that basis alone!

As mentioned before: if you want a fast bike, a Merckx is not what you need. It has a slight longer back and was designed for long days in the saddle. That's why Richard Virenque (when he rode Merckx bikes after his Festina period) asked Eddy to build him one with shorter stays (and adapt it to climbing).

Re:

I want those wheels, Beepbeep! Miss the ones I sold years ago! :roll:

Nice frameset Jamie, well, to look at. Interesting theory too, I fear the reality would deflate my excitement too, if I got one at a decent price.
Happy with my Bianchi though. My most regular road bike

Mike

Stick legs; Anything Robert Miller recommends can't be bad by any stretch.

WimVVD; I do know exactly what you mean about the Merckx being slightly more relaxed, not as quick or sharp handling as the Master and that is why I always go for my Merckx. I tend to spend long hours out on it when I get a chance and I'm not the 'quickest' of riders. (I'm also not getting younger)
Mike; Don't get me wrong about the Master it was a great bike but sometimes your just not looking for great ;) A bit like driving a Ferrari when I usually drive Volvo's. I also think that it was a bike I thought often of owning, because of it's iconic status rather than every other machine I have which was purchased to ride. A small thing and not something I tend to do and certainly it's only in hindsight I think this as I don't miss riding it, but sometimes I miss owning it. Not something I have ever done with anything really, may be something in it, may not be, but it didn't last with me and I just wonder whether my motive was the problem.
Either that or it just sucked ;)
Merckx rule! ;)

Jamie

Back