Recommend me a 'fast' bike

Tyres first, then wheels.

It's amazing how much difference swapping between two sets of identical wheels with different tyres on can make. (Gatorskins with heavy training tubes to open tubulars with conti supersonic tubes)

Re:

Thanks for the wheel/tyre suggestions.
I was actually running the Master with the same wheels and tyres as the BMC. The BMC was probably faster in reality but there was just something sublime about the Master. I built it up as a second bike but it quickly became the first choice.

One that I can highly recommend for that 'fast' feeling, and more so than my much loved Merckx, was my Concorde Squadra.
A truly quick machine and just accelerated up hills :)
It just felt faster, lighter, nimbler than my others. In reality it may not have been but it definitely felt it. I even rode one weekend on the same roads but with different machines as it felt so different.
Another machine that feels quite spritely, more so than I thought it should is my early 90's Mercian.
Just a couple of ideas.

Jamie

Now that sounds fast :LOL:

I'd just like to interrupt this thread with a message to my computer...

Attachments

• 73937670.jpg
    73937670.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 393
Re:

My Bianchi TSX feels great, even with PC wheels

I'd get another one in a flash

Alternatively, if you're looking for British brand, how about a Cougar or Bob Jackson?

My Jackson was bought new, off-the-peg, 631 tubing and very reasonably priced

The Cougar, Dedacciai tubed. Think there is an 853 version for sale on here at the moment

I can recommend both

Mike

Back