Rc200 problems

stocko

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all

I bought a Pace rc200 f5 frame this week and arrived today.
I was excited to find an f5 as i rode one bitd racing for the Royce uk factory xc team but this one has a few problems and not sure to try and sort it..(i can also return for refund)

1- The seatclamp seems to have been fitted with a bolt with a larger head and has split the seat clamp...i know these can be replaced but finding one will be hard i expect.

2- It came with a shimano bb fitted and seems to be stuck. I've tried to remove it but don't want to put too much pressure on it as i know these frames can be fragile.

3- some of the frame surface seems to have a bit of corrosion and not sure if a strip,polish and re anodise is worth it.

Structure of the frame seems good,having checked the welds,etc

Is it worth a punt to fix or send back??

Attachments

• 20230908_184821.jpg
    20230908_184821.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230908_184854.jpg
    20230908_184854.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 64
Personally, I would return it mate.

The RC200 is one of my dream bikes but I’ve turned down a few based on damage like this. That frame is not unique and there will be a better example out there, you just have to be a bit patient. 👍🏼

Thanks,i've now contacted the seller and he said to return it to him. Its a shame but the hunt is on for another one!!

There's often an RC200 for sale but 1 in 4 will be your size, of those 1 in 8 will be an F5. Of those 1 in 5 will have been weld repaired or butchered. That's a 1 in 160 chance of getting the right one again. Seat clamps are sometimes available or can be easily made. I think if you filed away the curly bits on the clamp and gave it a polish you'd hardly notice. If the bottom bracket would come out I'd keep it and ride it while you look for a better example...... which could take several years. Refinishing is a cost but would you rather have a rough around the edges one or none at all? I honestly think I like bikes with an honest patina than a garage queen you daren't use. I'd ask if the seller can get the BB out without damage and negotiate a price.

There's often an RC200 for sale but 1 in 4 will be your size, of those 1 in 8 will be an F5. Of those 1 in 5 will have been weld repaired or butchered. That's a 1 in 160 chance of getting the right one again. Seat clamps are sometimes available or can be easily made. I think if you filed away the curly bits on the clamp and gave it a polish you'd hardly notice. If the bottom bracket would come out I'd keep it and ride it while you look for a better example...... which could take several years. Refinishing is a cost but would you rather have a rough around the edges one or none at all? I honestly think I like bikes with an honest patina than a garage queen you daren't use. I'd ask if the seller can get the BB out without damage and negotiate a price.

To be honest, that’s not a bad shout…The BB was the worrying bit for me…If the seller will agree to remove it and return you your money if it doesn’t come out, then you have no risk…

@fettler My guy! 👊🏼

In a twist of fate...today i have found the exact f4 i sold on here years ago and just been offered to buy it back😀

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230909-210606_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230909-210606_Chrome.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 18
In a twist of fate...today i have found the exact f4 i sold on here years ago and just been offered to buy it back😀
Hope the the deal comes good👍. It looks a far better example in the pictures if the condition is still similar. If you sort this deal I'd put a Lotto ticket on while your luck is high!

I think for your maths to be right it would need to be 4 in 5 will have been weld repaired or butchered.

Back