rat attack (one for the airgun fans)

So by your criteria anything that carries disease should be killed, thats fine by me because I'm going to shoot all those sods that come into my shop with a cold and 3 days later I've got it.
It's like foxhunting, everyone blabing on about tradition and 'pest' control, never heard one of them say 'hammering across the landscape on a horse with a pack of dogs and all your mates is a right rush' if there had been a bit more of that......People always try to justify their actions with words like 'population management' or somesuch instead of admiting that killing makes you feel good because it's a rather unpalatable truth

Hmmm....a bit bizarre you use the word foxhunting, given your history. Personally i dont agree with it, certainly not the bugle brigade, the capers more akin to fox baiting (with it being constantly jibbed by specific terriers expert at not closing), though i can understand the northern farmers (non diggable earths) having to commission a killing mute terrier to rid a rampant fox wageing war in lambing season. and i can also understand a farmer blocking hunters nappering non pest fox's that busy themselves keeping down rat populations around foodstocks...and i can understand them tagging the wording management to such actions.

Country folk look after the countryside...townies like to tell them how they think it should be done. :D

B77":3db00ljy said:
P.S. In France there are very very few instances of bovine Tb but then again there isn't the increbile land use intensity that there is in the UK, you very rarely see more than 4-5 cattle per hectare per week whereas at home it's around 10-12.

Hah! Statistics are great Eh?

Talk to anyone involved in TB research. The UK is a standup example or correct incident reporting. Bovine TB is reported as it should be.

You think that the french actually report things fully? Not the case (I work with some of europes leading TB researchers, and one of the UKs most respected Dairy cattle Vets). If it's not reported, it's not a problem, and doesn't appear in the statistics.

Sorry.

Raging_Bulls":32wsbfsy said:
My_Teenage_Self":32wsbfsy said:
If it's not reported, it's not a problem

Stop reporting it then. Problem solved. :LOL:
Thats how the crime figures have gone down; You report a crime. Plod do F all. Next time you don't bother reporting it.
Crime is down! :D

suburbanreuben":eh2xuzc6 said:
Raging_Bulls":eh2xuzc6 said:
My_Teenage_Self":eh2xuzc6 said:
If it's not reported, it's not a problem
Stop reporting it then. Problem solved. :LOL:
Thats how the crime figures have gone down; You report a crime. Plod do F all. Next time you don't bother reporting it.
Crime is down! :D
And not only that, report something that there's not a likely chance of them solving, they appear rather less interested, sometimes almost to the point of being subtly discouraging - either that or they try appeasing you with some meaningless platitudes in order to try and get you to sign off on it being resolution.

I've said it before and likely countless times again - that's mad cow for you - the country gets the police force they deserve.

sylus":1730xnn8 said:
Country folk look after the countryside...townies like to tell them how they think it should be done. :D

The truth is somewhat more complex.

The townie attitude has informed thinking to the good in my view.

Horses and hounds is the least effective manner of controlling the fox.

highlandsflyer":t04fz21q said:
sylus":t04fz21q said:

The truth is somewhat more complex.

The townie attitude has informed thinking to the good in my view.

Horses and hounds is the least effective manner of controlling the fox.

It's as complex as people want it to be

If your in the country generally you are more aware of wildlife, agriculture and the impacts on your direct way of living.

If you live in the towns you have less trees to hug so feel you have a right to tell those in the country how to do things

in many ways it's like those who say no testing on animals for life saving medicines....they rarely volunteer to take the animals place

sylus":at9urp7y said:

Only lived in a town for the first 5 years of my life and in the country for the other 40. Worked and lived on more farms than you've had hot dinners. 'the farmers protect the countryside' what a load of crap, farmers and especially the large farming agencies will squeeze every last bit out of the land, remember the hedgerows that were grubbed up in the 50's and 60's which led to static population problems because the smaller mammals couldn't use them to move between habitats ? the indiscriminate use of pesticides that led to the near extinction of many birds of prey ? How about now where blowing the shit out of pheasants is the new golf, ever seen a pheasant pen ?
As for the TB thing you want another statistic ? in the 2008 trial cull around 4% of badger were found to have TB lesions, cattle are reservoir of the disease not badgers yet DEFRA continues to advocate culling as the best way of control instead of vacciine research and and tighter cattle management, but then the farmers would have less compensation to boost their income with when they claim for loss of cattle .
The fact remains France has far less problem with disease transmission because land is far less intensively worked than in the UK.
Anyway back on topic I suppose, for those who are saying killing for reasons of population control are just and right, start by shooting 2 out of three of your neighbours because sadly the UK is bursting at the seams.....

Far too early in the morning rant over

Back