Raleigh USA John Tomac Ti Titanium + Tioga blue

Russia's not high on my love list at the moment (I have Ukrainian heritage...) but it predates the current era and will love it anyways!

Now were just debating whose bike it will actually be - his or mine! It fits him better but he has a chromoly Trek Mountain Edge I bought him since he didnt want to spend money on a bike! :p

The old article, under the sub-section of 'What Kind of Value?' reads like the writer is trying to cope with the price tag and he's clearly not a fan of Tomac or Raleigh. The Diamond Back Axis being a full rigid is LESS of a value irrespective of the $2,899 price tag. In the third paragraph the then Raleigh US guy specifically states "value (for the money)". The writer tried muddying the waters by constantly bringing up Russian titanium as if that is some kind of terrible thing, yet admits several times he has no experience with Russian-sourced titanium tubes other than that specific Raleigh bike.

The bike you have, OP, is pretty sweet.

Agreed fguki has an amazing bike! I need to get mine cleaned up to look half that good. And thanks fguki for sharing the additional info! (and politely tolerating me highjacking your thread.) That article was a neat read, though definitely with some anti-Russia sentiment.

Last edited:
LOL at that MBA article. I remember I believed everything in that mag to be the truth when I was a kid, as an adult reading that article I question how much they really tested it or if they just went with their gut feelings. Soft rear end, stiffer front end with the Suntour hub, needs a lower stem lol, where is the data backing this up.

Late on the party, but very nice Raleigh USA MTi2000 from 1993 that you've put your hands on, @fguki. If you had some spare time, would you please look at the diameter of your seatpost, as it still the OEM Tioga DL2000 one, and provide us with the information to this forum? This would help others. Thanks.

The bike was sold months ago to a MTB museum in Switzerland. Sorry, cant help there anymore.

Latest posts

Back