Raleigh Twenty "hop-up" (AASHTA)

A minor update, no pictures but the Twenty is working well! I'm working away this week at a festival, so I took it with me to chuck in the boot of the car. I haven't used it as much as I was hoping, but have been for a couple of rides. It feels very stable, I'm really impressed with how stiff and sturdy the frame is, and I do think it weighs less than a Moulton - although probably a bit more than a "proper" folder like a Brompton or a Dahon. I'm still fiddling with the saddle/bar position, and hoping to get a longer ride in this weekend to get a proper feel for how it is over a longer distance (longest so far has only been 4 miles).

I have noticed that it's quite skittish on loose surfaces. I guess this might be due to the low mass of the front wheel.

djoptix":31n1xvg0 said:
I have noticed that it's quite skittish on loose surfaces. I guess this might be due to the low mass of the front wheel.

That's what the nylon part of the headset was there to damp out. A bit less rake on the forks would probably give it more stability

I've read a lot of the Raleigh Twenty threads on here, but this is the first time I've read through yours. Some good helpful stuff in there and it's looking good.

I'm a bit concerned you're finding it possibly a touch to small, as I'm slightly taller than you, but I pretty much have all my components now, so I'll build it up whatever and see how I get on with it!

Interesting stuff about the forks too, it's edging me towards keeping the originals, though possibly seeing whether I can reduce the rake.

some of the Raleigh RSWs had a Delta style rear brake. Tho it was riveted together bits of pressed steel.

Back