Raleigh Special Products Division Titanium - INFO PLEASE

5 years later, but hey ho!
Currently got two of those. One is pretending to be a Pinarello (Prince I think). It's painted in Pinarello blue and labelled with Pinarello logos.
The other one is raw titanium, but branded as X-Lite. Bought it just recently from the guy who advertised it as an aluminium bike for a mere £190!
The whole bike that is. Don't have any photos of the raw one yet, but here is my Pinarello wannabe. 60cm seat tube. Frame number starting with K, so 1999? 2000?

Attachments

• IMG-20230624-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20230624-WA0029.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20230624-WA0036.jpg
    IMG-20230624-WA0036.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20230624-WA0038.jpg
    IMG-20230624-WA0038.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20230624-WA0039.jpg
    IMG-20230624-WA0039.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20230624-WA0042.jpg
    IMG-20230624-WA0042.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20230624-WA0047.jpg
    IMG-20230624-WA0047.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 12
5 years later, but hey ho!
Currently got two of those. One is pretending to be a Pinarello (Prince I think). It's painted in Pinarello blue and labelled with Pinarello logos.
The other one is raw titanium, but branded as X-Lite. Bought it just recently from the guy who advertised it as an aluminium bike for a mere £190!
The whole bike that is. Don't have any photos of the raw one yet, but here is my Pinarello wannabe. 60cm seat tube. Frame number starting with K, so 1999? 2000?

I'm glad you bought the eBay one. I'd come very close to buying it several times after it was outed on here, but there's little chance of me actually using a road bike!

I'm glad you bought the eBay one. I'd come very close to buying it several times after it was outed on here, but there's little chance of me actually using a road bike!
Mate. First I found the bike on eBay. I was sure that was titanium. The welds are way too neat for aluminium. Then I found your post here about it and the reply from the guy you outed you saying it's an aluminium frame. I knew that you are correct, so went for a kill. The frame is in great shape. K12101 number. This one got a 58 cm long seat tube.

Mate. First I found the bike on eBay. I was sure that was titanium. The welds are way too neat for aluminium. Then I found your post here about it and the reply from the guy you outed you saying it's an aluminium frame. I knew that you are correct, so went for a kill. The frame is in great shape. K12101 number. This one got a 58 cm long seat tube.
It was actually someone else who outed it, but yeah, it is clearly titanium and I recognised it from this thread. I haven't seen another branded as X-lite, but since they did that with titanium mtb frames it wouldn't be a surprise.

At 58 cm it is probably too small for me too, so even more relief I didn't buy it! It's an awesome looking frame and sounds like they are incredible quality.

It was actually someone else who outed it, but yeah, it is clearly titanium and I recognised it from this thread. I haven't seen another branded as X-lite, but since they did that with titanium mtb frames it wouldn't be a surprise.

At 58 cm it is probably too small for me too, so even more relief I didn't buy it! It's an awesome looking frame and sounds like they are incredible quality.
The one pretending to be Pinarello got a 60 cm long seat tube. I'm going to have to sell them both to finance another, much more modern titanium build, that is just halfway through. These new shiny toys are not cheap, I have to say.

The one pretending to be Pinarello got a 60 cm long seat tube. I'm going to have to sell them both to finance another, much more modern titanium build, that is just halfway through. These new shiny toys are not cheap, I have to say.
The “Pinarello” looks like it was done at Skill Enamelers which was in Ilkeston and owned by Phil Insley. Phil worked at Raleigh SBDU and set up on his own when Raleigh closed their Ilkeston unit. He continued to work with projects from Raleigh but sadly he died last week.
The Titanium frame has the deep section down tube which indicates it was from the last days of fabrication at Raleigh Special Products. We closed in 2000.

The “Pinarello” looks like it was done at Skill Enamelers which was in Ilkeston and owned by Phil Insley. Phil worked at Raleigh SBDU and set up on his own when Raleigh closed their Ilkeston unit. He continued to work with projects from Raleigh but sadly he died last week.
The Titanium frame has the deep section down tube which indicates it was from the last days of fabrication at Raleigh Special Products. We closed in 2000.
Thank you for this information. Guy, I bought it from mentioned Skill Enamelers while pointing at the sticker. This enamel coating got some "scars", but I can say it was a quality job. I am really sorry to hear about Phil Insley. Now I'm thinking about keeping it. It is my size.

Back