Raleigh Special Products Division Titanium - INFO PLEASE

Re:

Nice to see these frames still raise interest . I bought one new about 16 years ago from Sheffield cycles B.O.T . Paid about £200 including a pair of carbon forks and head set . A ture racing frame nice and tight .
Raleigh Titainium by rebalrid, on Flickr

Rode up Austria's high mountains on it . Coming down was a blast :shock:

Sold it couple of years back for about the same price .

Re: Re:

bagpuss":53q1l5yo said:
Nice to see these frames still raise interest . I bought one new about 16 years ago from Sheffield cycles B.O.T . Paid about £200 including a pair of carbon forks and head set . A ture racing frame nice and tight .
Raleigh Titainium by rebalrid, on Flickr

Rode up Austria's high mountains on it . Coming down was a blast :shock:

Sold it couple of years back for about the same price .

Nice to see one built up. Same Look forks!

Cavalier":3egvqghn said:
Go on Haylock, tell us how much you paid for yours!

Let's just say quite a bit more than £200 but think it's worth it for what in effect is a brand new frame, and a rare one at that!

regan_ev":234a4hs3 said:
Oops! My bad on misspelling Barrie Clarke's surname! I just got all excited for you thing this was a special special-products frame!

Nice to learn about the history of Russian titanium manufacturing and fabrication. :)

So, I managed to find a contact email for Barrie Clarke and sent him a message. This is his reply:

Hello Chris,

Raleigh special products did stamp the names of the riders on the BB shell in the 90s. Some times they did spell my name wrong too. I don’t remember having a frame with a fat down tube though. I did have some IMI titanium frames both shinny and bead blasted but never with the fat down tube. I don’t even remember bikes of the time with oversized down tubes in titanium.

You might get some more info from Glenn Coltman, the Raleigh mechanic for a lot of this era. He now has a shop near Leicester but I do not know the name – sorry.

Good luck,
Barrie

Interesting...

Haylock1974":2fwy6t4i said:
Cavalier":2fwy6t4i said:

Let's just say quite a bit more than £200 but think it's worth it for what in effect is a brand new frame, and a rare one at that!

Thank god, If you'd paid some nominal amount for that work of engineering art I would've been most envious!!

Cavalier":22f996ky said:
Haylock1974":22f996ky said:
Cavalier":22f996ky said:

Thank god, If you'd paid some nominal amount for that work of engineering art I would've been most envious!!

It cost me £500. Maybe too much but I saw it and had to have it!!!

I think £500 is a really decent price. You only have to look at what people pay for SBDU steel frames. I paid that exact amount for a Speedwell titanium frame which seemed a lot at the time but to be honest with you I think you have the better bargain. Just don't scuff that beauty after you build it up.

Re:

Personally I would much rather pay £500 for a nice titanium frame with a bit of character and history than a modern Carbon job!

Back