Raleigh Richmond

tbc

Dirt Disciple
I got a bit carried away on Ebay, and probably paid over the odds for what is essentially a lovely 531 frame with some pretty standard parts:

6152945921_12ebd51556_z.jpg

It has been converted to a single-speed, and I have the original shifter and derailleur, but no freewheel. I am thinking of keeping it SS, and perhaps even trying it fixed... :shock:

I am going to give it a little overhaul, but try and keep it looking almost as it does:

-Same flat bars, but with nicer brown grips, probably new Shimano Deore levers (unless I get any better ideas...the current Weinmann levers are nasty and stiff)
-Nice brown San Marco Rolls saddle - the current black one is being transplanted to my Pug
-A 700c front wheel to match the 700c rear (currently the front is 27")
-New Schwalbe Delta Cruiser 700x28 tyres - plumped for gumwalls, but I so so nearly went for the cream ones
-A new offside crank to replace the nasty modern one currently fitted
-Mudguard transplant, so I have either two black or two gold, and not one of each, with the rear made partly of coathangers - as it currently is.
-Some way of mounting my back light which doesn't involve bright yellow bar tape!
-New cables and blocks for the nice Weinmann centrepulls

I'll post again when I've done something interesting, and I'll gladly listen to any suggestions or criticism. I know this isn't the most original or thrilling bike but hopefully it will look nice when it's polished up a bit!

If it's of any interest this is how I mount my rear lights to my Raleigh Royal. It's just a piece of old shower curtain cable tied onto the rear rack. The lights are a pair of Poundland specials but they're more than adequate for the job.

Cheers,
Ian.

Attachments

• Royal lights.JPG
    Royal lights.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,985
I built my girlfriend one of these for Christmas, a mixte frame in 531. It's amazingly light.

For your back light, can you not get that clamp to go round the downtube, so the light pokes through the middle of the two smaller tubes?

I tried that, but the clamp is still too big. I just found it at the bottom of my toolbox, I'm not sure what sort of frame it's designed for, but it's obviously a bigger one than mine!

I was really impressed with how light the frame was as well. I think I've seen a picture of your girlfriend's one, or if not that, another like it that was posted on a forum somewhere. They're very nice looking bikes.

tbc":142xaj2d said:
I got a bit carried away on Ebay, and probably paid over the odds for what is essentially a lovely 531 frame with some pretty standard parts.

I'll post again when I've done something interesting, and I'll gladly listen to any suggestions or criticism. I know this isn't the most original or thrilling bike but hopefully it will look nice when it's polished up a bit!

These Richmonds were always nice BITD, you'll find it is only 531 maintubes though.

Still nice, but return it to near original, too many folk are fixated with fixies - how I hate that term: it's fixed!

Nice though, and more upmarket than your average roadster.

Roadking.

Back