Raleigh Lenton Clubman 1948 ish NOW ON EBAY

grumpycommuter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am selling my Raleigh Lenton Clubman from around 1947 or 48, although if anyone knows a more accurate date then please enlighten me! The serial number on the seat tube is 481241 P. It looks to have been touched up in places at some point in it’s history, a previous owners name is stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket and the decals look to be hand made, i certainly don’t recognise them from image searches on google. There is chrome loss and pitting, especially on the wheels and bars and the paint work is in a similar condition but considering the old girl is the best part of 70 years old then all told she is in not bad condition. I have tried to show this in the attached photos.

The hub is a Sturmey Archer 4 speed FM type and works well. High gear can be fiddly to engage but holds in place so i suspect cable wear is responsible. The other 3 gears engage well. The front hub is a dynohub which powers front and rear lights, both of which are wonderfully underwhelming, even at speed downhill !

The wheels are 26” Dunlop special lightweights with stainless spokes. Front runs true, rear will need a tweak but not much. Saddle is an old Brooks. Mudguards, pedals and toeclips are modernish additions. Brakes are original and could do with some new pads.

Frame - Seat tube CTT 22” , Top tube CTC 22”

Her prodigious weight lends a solid and smooth ride quality :)

Having owned her for 3 or 4 years and done some lovely distance rides on her i am having to clear out our garage so it’s time for her to find a new owner.

As mentioned earlier please remember this bike is over 65 years old and therefore has ‘character’. It’s not a new bike nor is it a lightweight but it is a lovely example of an early Raleigh bicycle.

Due to the weight and age of the bike it is collection only.

Looking for £200.

Attachments

• IMGP4536copy.jpg
    IMGP4536copy.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 1,869
  • IMGP4540copy.jpg
    IMGP4540copy.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,870
  • IMGP4539copy.jpg
    IMGP4539copy.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 1,870
  • IMGP4534copy.jpg
    IMGP4534copy.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 1,870
Re: Raleigh Lenton Clubman 1948 ish

Must be someone out there who wants to make an offer?

I'm in Atherstone, Warwickshire.

Re:

Hi,

1948 would be right. My dad had one - bought new in 1948! I might be interested in this as it's his birthday coming up. Would you consider £150?

Craig
Craig

Re: Re:

craigsmith":1g3lvng6 said:
Hi.

1948 would be right. My dad had one - bought new in 1948! I might be interested in this as it's his birthday coming up. Would you consider £150?

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thought it was 1948. From what i understand the Lenton Clubman was only around for about a year and then became the Clubman. £175 and it's yours. Would you like me to email you some more pictures that i have?

Karl

Back