Raleigh Kalahari - my new project

Re: Re:

ljamesb":gxd96hj4 said:
Tolt10":gxd96hj4 said:
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but i too have aquired a Raleigh Kalahari. The gears set is an Altus C10 but it is unresponsive and dodgy, is there anything I can do about this?

Could it be the cables? Are the cable outers 'gear cable outers' as opposed to 'brake cable outers'. If you use the wrong ones it can make a huge difference and result in unresponsive spongey gear changes.

Is there a way I can tell? They are also rusty does that matter?

Tolt10":1lrktykj said:
ljamesb":1lrktykj said:
Tolt10":1lrktykj said:
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but i too have aquired a Raleigh Kalahari. The gears set is an Altus C10 but it is unresponsive and dodgy, is there anything I can do about this?

Could it be the cables? Are the cable outers 'gear cable outers' as opposed to 'brake cable outers'. If you use the wrong ones it can make a huge difference and result in unresponsive spongey gear changes.

Is there a way I can tell? They are also rusty does that matter?

The rust probably won't help. might be a good idea to replace the inner cables and outers if they are rusty.

Usually, gear outer cable outers are made of several wire strands which run parallel to the gear cable wrapped in plastic. Brake outers on the other hand are usually made of a single wire coiled up.

There's some info on this here.

I'd say, replace the gear and brake cables and you'll probably get much better performance. It can be very difficult to cut the outer cables without a proper bike cable cutting tool. If you don;t have this, you can just use a junior hacksaw which works fine, but takes a couple of minutes to cut through the cables.

The rust probably won't help. might be a good idea to replace the inner cables and outers if they are rusty.

Usually, gear outer cable outers are made of several wire strands which run parallel to the gear cable wrapped in plastic. Brake outers on the other hand are usually made of a single wire coiled up.

There's some info on this here.

I'd say, replace the gear and brake cables and you'll probably get much better performance. It can be very difficult to cut the outer cables without a proper bike cable cutting tool. If you don;t have this, you can just use a junior hacksaw which works fine, but takes a couple of minutes to cut through the cables.[/quote][/quote]

Roughly how much will replacing both cost?

Re: Kalahari Rebuild

I hope you can help here.

What type of Bottom Bracket does the Kalahari take?

Thanks in advance.

Martin :D

Back