1992 GT PANTERA. project. BB update. frame is saved! 11/11

Think you should take it back to the shop and politely explain the error in their ways....
I once had a Ritchey Logic fork where both brake bosses had mushroomed ends, from over-tightening the bolts.

This was when I had no clue how things worked, so I took it to the LBS for some advice. The chap there was adamant that the bosses where threaded. So he took a big pair of pliers and twisted away...

Surely enough I had to get a replacement fork, which had a different diameter crown race seat...but that's how I learned about the difference between ISO and JIS 1" headsets. 👍

Shocking service from the LBS. My local LBS dinged my tt when I asked them to chase the threads in a b/b shell years ago. A job I used to perform myself when I worked in the trade, Fast forward 10 years & it seems you do have to explain to the pros that they ought to be clamping frames by the seatpost (that I inserted specifically for them) & not by a thin-walled top tube). I learnt a lesson that day..... I hope they did too.

In my experience it really depends on whether the person in the shop is a bike enthusiast or not. I've only ever taken two bikes for BB removal. On my GT Strike they removed in 5 mins -no charge - and chatted for ages about 90's bikes, the other, a Team Avalanche a different guy took it and had it for 3 days then said they couldn't remove it and insinuated it was scrap... (I drilled it out in the end), I'd love to support them more, but they don't really offer anything I need.

/\ Very true. /\
I'd argue that it's not typical for a customer who requires a b/b to be removed only to keep the b/b & ditch the frame. Likewise you wouldn't need the b/b removing only to bin off both the b/b & frame. It's quite obvious a customer that is spending money on such services intends a future for the bike in question. Just really poor service from said shop - esp without atleast an apology. It's only an old bike though........

/\ Very true. /\
I'd argue that it's not typical for a customer who requires a b/b to be removed only to keep the b/b & ditch the frame. Likewise you wouldn't need the b/b removing only to bin off both the b/b & frame. It's quite obvious a customer that is spending money on such services intends a future for the bike in question. Just really poor service from said shop - esp without atleast an apology. It's only an old bike though........
Yeah, the second episode was quite odd actually. Part of me thinks they put it out the back, then forgot about it...Maybe they thought I didn't know what it was and would ask them to dispose of it 😄

Shocking service from the LBS. My local LBS dinged my tt when I asked them to chase the threads in a b/b shell years ago. A job I used to perform myself when I worked in the trade, Fast forward 10 years & it seems you do have to explain to the pros that they ought to be clamping frames by the seatpost (that I inserted specifically for them) & not by a thin-walled top tube). I learnt a lesson that day..... I hope they did too.
Horrendous experience. Tbh, I find that a lot of these owners fall into the bike trade almost by accident. I think perhaps us being more pefectionistic rules us out. Maybe we'd take too long I dunno. I got pushed out of working in halfords for refusing to omit greasing bars and seatposts and for torqueing cranksets. Shame on them really is all I can say.

/\ Very true. /\
He dosen't even know he did it, or at least, if he does, he's hiding it well. He is a friend and he told me no charge, but tbh I don't honestly think he knew, I think at heart he dosen't care enough about bikes. He was a good racer and has been in the game a long time and he's a nice enough guy, but this is the very last time I take my frame to a bike shop. I should know better. I blame myself.

He dosen't even know he did it, or at least, if he does, he's hiding it well. He is a friend and he told me no charge, but tbh I don't honestly think he knew, I think at heart he dosen't care enough about bikes. He was a good racer and has been in the game a long time and he's a nice enough guy, but this is the very last time I take my frame to a bike shop. I should know better. I blame myself.
Well, I think you are being very generous! I have my fingers crossed that the threads will clean up and you'll be able to get that BB in there nicely!

Tbh guys I'm gutted. It's taken me 9 years for this project, collecting parts and saving my spare cas. I've been through 4 damaged frames already all of which I was told were mint. Between bar ends damaging the top tube, dents from bike carrier towbars, I've got a lot of witness marks that didn't need to be there. I thought, finaly I've found something worth my time and my childhood dream would be realised. Yeah, I do sound like a looser for maybe being like this, btu I am a sentiment perfectionist.

I have managed to get the frame away from the brinke with prayers and plenty of GT 85. I don't know how strong the treahs are, btu they are holding for now at least. I still have the flatspot/ dent on the outside. There is a high spot on the face of the frame which I tried to press down using a headset spanner and my bb as a press. It's worked a little I guess.
Thanks everyone for the empathy and encouragement. I really wanted to give up on retro bikes after yesterday tbh, but I old my old bikes too much.

Attachments

• 399858251_315052944615553_8225594467015961989_n.jpg
    399858251_315052944615553_8225594467015961989_n.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 399192631_819735103279435_7233067806034195185_n.jpg
    399192631_819735103279435_7233067806034195185_n.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 9
  • 399802192_352079650662536_698354786341393711_n.jpg
    399802192_352079650662536_698354786341393711_n.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 9
Well, I think you are being very generous! I have my fingers crossed that the threads will clean up and you'll be able to get that BB in there nicely!
Thank you! I'm getting there! I really do need to give those threads a proper clean though!

Back