1992 GT PANTERA. project. BB update. frame is saved! 11/11

Tbh guys I'm gutted. It's taken me 9 years for this project, collecting parts and saving my spare cas. I've been through 4 damaged frames already all of which I was told were mint. Between bar ends damaging the top tube, dents from bike carrier towbars, I've got a lot of witness marks that didn't need to be there. I thought, finaly I've found something worth my time and my childhood dream would be realised. Yeah, I do sound like a looser for maybe being like this, btu I am a sentiment perfectionist.

I have managed to get the frame away from the brinke with prayers and plenty of GT 85. I don't know how strong the treahs are, btu they are holding for now at least. I still have the flatspot/ dent on the outside. There is a high spot on the face of the frame which I tried to press down using a headset spanner and my bb as a press. It's worked a little I guess.
Thanks everyone for the empathy and encouragement. I really wanted to give up on retro bikes after yesterday tbh, but I old my old bikes too much.
Great news that the BB is in!! So many bikes of this lineage have problems with either BB's or seat posts, that getting past them is like a waypost on the journey to realising your dream of building it back up...I know it's left a small mark, but anything worth having involves a struggle or challenge we have to overcome! Keen to see the next stage(s). (I have a beaten up '92 Pantera 16" which is earmarked for a special project in the Spring)

Thanks PhilB. You right. I have to stick me my wee frame. I was tempted to call the project GT Patina to be honest, but I was at the time hoping the abuse was just historic. ie the caught chains, the cable rub and cheese wiring on the seat tube. This is as good as I can get her with my limited skills and tools, just a lot of patience and thinking.

Looks a lot more concentric now. The pic on with right is me trying to press out the high spot, or which I got most of out. I can't complain. I was certainly tempted to put her in the attic and forget tbh.

Attachments

• 400108509_360870989781823_4687921513018508703_n.jpg
    400108509_360870989781823_4687921513018508703_n.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 399802192_352079650662536_698354786341393711_n.jpg
    399802192_352079650662536_698354786341393711_n.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 9
Crap job on the part of the bike shop mechanic indeed. I'm no pro but the first rule clamping in a steel jaw vice is make sure your clamping the right bit before cranking up the pressure. I usually go with the technique of clamping the B/B tool in the vice and lowering the frame and B/B onto the tool and using the frame as a giant spanner to turn the B/B out. Works a treat in all but the most chewed up B/B interfaces.

However have a look at Hambini on You tube. He rips into manufacturers in quite comic (if childish) fashion. After the "reaming" he gives some frames you should come away feeling quite chuffed with your wee repair and rest assured there is no such thing as the perfect frame out there. They all, even brand new, have their little quirks.

Crap job on the part of the bike shop mechanic indeed. I'm no pro but the first rule clamping in a steel jaw vice is make sure your clamping the right bit before cranking up the pressure. I usually go with the technique of clamping the B/B tool in the vice and lowering the frame and B/B onto the tool and using the frame as a giant spanner to turn the B/B out. Works a treat in all but the most chewed up B/B interfaces.

However have a look at Hambini on You tube. He rips into manufacturers in quite comic (if childish) fashion. After the "reaming" he gives some frames you should come away feeling quite chuffed with your wee repair and rest assured there is no such thing as the perfect frame out there. They all, even brand new, have their little quirks.
Very true! Well it's a hard learned lesson. It really the reason I work on my own bikes, but I'll just buy a good work bench and a vice of my own and plenty of tools. No bike shop get bike bikes again.
Thank you, yes Hambini is good to watch as long as you don't mind the unique way that he delivers his content.lol Great engineer for sure, btu an unhealthy bias towards Look frames.lol

Back