Raleigh Grand Turismo GT250

There’s currently one on eBay -

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB

This is the variety I remember (and was my first new bike).

In the early sixties there were really only two sorts of bikes, roadsters and racers.

Roadsters with the familiar SA three speeds on 26” x 1 3/8”wheels. (‘Sportier’ versions had 1 1/4”)

Racers had drops and a double chainset with (commonly) 52/49 rings.

My friends’ racers all seemed to have problems with the gears so a 3-speed seemed to be a better idea.

I didn’t like drops (partly because in those days brakes were terrible - especially in the wet with steel rims - and fingertip control riding on the hoods was not even a dream!)

But I did want bigger (27”) wheels and thinner tyres than normal roadsters.

Went round quite a few bike shops, before I found anything with my imagined spec.

I even managed to like the metallic goldy bronze.

Alloy bars, stem, brakes and levers (all GB) were a real bonus.

If I ever see a 23” I might have to buy it...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks Spokessmann

Hadn't thought of that. I think it's the only Raleigh with wrap over stays and unfortunately, doesn't appear in any catalogues I can find. Nice to think it could be a Worksop or at least a nod to Carlton.

It's a lovely ride....much nippier than the 70's 5-speeds I've owned.
My parents bought me one of these for my birthday in 1964-brand new. It was dark bronze in colour. Came with straight aluminum alloy handlebars. It had Sturmey-Archer hum gears, 3 speed I seem to remember. Same chain guard. White coloured tape on the bars. I rode miles and miles on it.

My parents bought me one of these for my birthday in 1964-brand new. It was dark bronze in colour. Came with straight aluminum alloy handlebars. It had Sturmey-Archer hum gears, 3 speed I seem to remember. Same chain guard. White coloured tape on the bars. I rode miles and miles on it.
Ok. Should read ’hub’ gears, obviously!

Back