Raleigh Grand Turismo GT250

Re:

I've seen those but I don't believe this was originally built with flat bars.

It has a GB Hiduminium Stem and GB Maes drops that all look condition and date appropriate to original spec. Also the way it was looked after tells me it was never really upgraded in it's life (see photobucket)

Here's a rubbish photo from dealry of another one with the same looking stem....I'll see if there are any others out there

My thinking is that this was only a short lived model before Curry's bought up a bulk and sold them with flat bars. I've seen a Curry's ad in a couple of places and the flat bar version seems a year or two older going by frame numbers.

Just my thinking so happy to hear others.

Agree, if only there was a catalogue?

Attachments

• Grand.JPG
    Grand.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 757
Curry's ad.....I don't think it started life like this one

Attachments

• Grand Currys.jpg
    Grand Currys.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 752
Would anybody know the history behind the Gran Sport?

I wonder whether these models were Raleigh clearing out Carlton frames?

Re:

Raleigh Gran Sport from the 1960's

IMG_1474 by rebalrid, on Flickr

For the launch of this model Raleigh printed a catalogue containing lots of detail of its build . It also had details of two other models the sprite and the blue streak mark 2 . Both of these been available as a ladies frame as well

The Gran sport came with a Campagnolo Gran Sport f & r gear . A double c/s 49/46 came as standard .The wheels Racelite hubs on Dunlop HP rims 27x1 1/4 .

The tubing was high tensile steel .

I recently got hold of a GT250 frameset and was looking for more information about them. I seem to have come to the same stumbling block though as there just isn't that much about them.
So......same frame and forks as the Gran Sport and this had some Carlton connection as well?
Also, the tubes are listed as Raleigh High Tensile steel, but what does that actually mean, metallugically speaking? Cromoly or basically gaspipe?
The frame is actually not too bad weight-wise and Sheldon Brown reckoned the GranSport rides nicely.
What were the gears on the GT though? Still Campag?
I'll get some photos of mine up soon, It'd be nice to get this as a comprehensive thread perhaps.

High tensile steel is below chromo in stiffness, so indeed what is disparagingly termed gaspipe. But if it's nice to ride then enjoy. One bike that ride really nicely was an old Elswick frame I had - the position was nice and it was just so relaxing - I regret selling even if it was cheap and worthless!

Back