Raleigh Gran Course (Team Panasonic, 1987)

DonB

Dirt Disciple
Hi again folks,

Here is my "old faithful" - A 1987 Raleigh Team Panasonic.
Not entirely sure whether she is a Team Corsa, Cadet or Replica; what I do know is that the frame was built at Worksop, May 1987, and is built with Reynolds 531c tubing.

Most of the components originally came from a red Raleigh Criterium, which was my first "proper" racing bike, back in 1986. Sadly a few years later, the rear derailleur malfunctioned on this machine, and committed suicide by throwing itself into the rear spokes... The force pulled the mounting lug out of shape rendering the entire frame useless (or so I thought at the time).
I had to cope without a bike for a few months, until I spotted this Team Panasonic frame hanging in my local bike shop for £125. A deal was struck, and after the frame arrived at home, I transferred most of the Criterium components to it.

Over the years, I have (naturally) swapped and changed parts; for example, the rear block is 7-speed, with Shimano SIS derailleur. Handlebars were changed after the rather nice engraved ones from the Criterium actually snapped during a time trial. The front brake calipers are plain alloy; the black ones developed a crack, so had to be scrapped.

I am in the process of restoring her to roadworthy condition; I would also like to improve her appearance (she is suffering from 'shed rash' - rust is beginning to show through the paint on the top tube). Some amber-wall 700x25 tyres, pearl-white bar tape and a pair of brake hoods (if I can find some) will be a good start.

Sorry for rambling on... If anyone can shed any light as to the exact model I have, or indeed, if you have any questions, please go ahead!

Thanks for looking,

Don

Re: 1987 Raleigh Team Panasonic

Love the colours, give it a good service and enjoy! If I could I'd change the rear mech though - doesn't look right!

How can you tell it doesn't look right, facing away from you?

I'm pretty sure it's one of these:

From the '86 brochure, and sold as a frame set only

The top tube Raleigh decal didn't feature on the Cadet, Corsa or Team Replica

Can we see some more pictures, showing the drive side?

MrW - That ID is good enough for me! Many thanks for that! :)
Would the frame number itself give any clues?

I shall post some more pics later... :)

Over the years, the chainstay decals have gone. Depending on the condition of the paint, I may treat her to a new, full set of repro decals.

Cheers,

Don

No problem!

The frame number will start with a W, denoting a frame built at the Lightweight unit

The first number denotes the year (i.e. a 6 would mean 1976 or 1986)

Decals can be purchased via http://www.hlloydcycles.com

MrW":2530242c said:
Can we see some more pictures, showing the drive side?

Of course. :D Sorry for the delay, I've been rather busy...

The rear mech. was changed to this one after I fitted a 7-speed cassette.
I still have the correct one in a box, along with the original ex-Criterium cassette.

Incidentally, I have found an old photo of me, aged about 17, with the bike just after I'd finished building it up, and a couple of hours before I entered my first time trial.

yeah,makes me want to read up on team panasonic and see how they got on !

Re:

Today was my Cycle Sunday; it was this machine that received the most attention.

I completely stripped down the front end, including the front brake.
The grease inside the bearings was almost solid, and there were three missing bearings from the bottom, and two broken ones.
I cleaned, regreased and reassembled the steering, and turned my attention to the brake. I dismantled the calipers and pickled the steel components in WD40. The alloy bits received a quick polish with some Duraglit wadding. The parts came up OK, but did not have the same lustre that some other members have achieved with theirs.

While I was at it, I fitted the new Dia-Compe hoods that I bought last week off eBay. I also treated the old Gran Course to a new set of brake cables.
Incidentally, the Dia-Compe hoods require a slight modification to fit over Weinmann levers; I had to cut a small section from the underside of the hoods to clear the levers, otherwise they limited their throw.

Tomorrow, my day off will be taken up by the overhaul of the rear brake calipers and both derailleurs.

Back