Raleigh Gran Sport Actually Built see P.23

Re: Raleigh Gran Sport change of direction.

You can either replace each spoke individually or look up youtube wheel builds. I sit there with another wheel with the same spoke count and pattern and copy that.

Yes again, I don't think that's the hard bit. It's the accuracy of the wheel etc that I'm more concerned about. I'll have a look. Sounds like the way to got though if I want these wheels to look the part. The old spokes are pretty crappy. Plain gauge will be all I'm up for and should do the job.

Or will my wheels look fat in this?

The History Man":3rnnmx41 said:
Or will my wheels look fat in this?

Narp! they will look proper! Check out Jimmy's 1969 steel 26" x 1,25"

As we’ve already established, as long as your apposable thumb still works then lacing the wheel is child’s play, my 12-year-old Jimmy can attest to that.
But as you say it’s the final tightening up that’s the real challenge. I’ve done it…once, it took bloody ages and wasn’t perfect!
I now have a nice little barter system with a local old independent one man bike shop, he does a cracking job in exchange for modern components that I remove from my e-bay/garage/skip finds, I’ve not paid cash for a wheel yet!

Attachments

• wheel.jpeg
    wheel.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 342
  • spoke.jpeg
    spoke.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 342
Re:

If you have a half competent LBS they should be able to replace the spokes with stainless for you, if you want to take the easy way out......

Attachments

• Webley-revolver.jpg
    Webley-revolver.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 340

Hmm, do you know what this is, Lieutenant?
It's a good old service revolver.
Wrong. It's a brand new service revolver, which I've suspiciously been sent without asking for it. I smell something fishy, and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble.

Re:

For the record. Three spokes out one front two rear.

Front 300
Rear 298/296

And they are all double butted so........

What would you do?

Plain Gauge Sapim £28

Double Butted Sapim £48

DB 165g lighter in total and a more flexible 'better' ride apparently.

Back