Raleigh BOB history?

Mbwsm

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I recently picked up a Raleigh BOB from a charity shop in great condition. It's an absolutely outstanding little bike for £60 - I love it!

It's got SR Suntour MG80 forks and a suspension seat post, and generally looks like a late 90s/early 00s bike (likely one of the Raleigh frames made abroad?)

But I can't find any info on this bike online, just a few old reports of some being stolen (don't worry, mine doesn't match those reports!) and a thread on here by user reanimation (https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...005-doitall-full-bike-as-new-only-£150.41998/)

Does anybody have any more info (year of manufacture, original cost, variations, history etc) about this cool little bike?

Thanks!

Matt

Cheers mdvineng, sounds like 1999 to 2003 was the time these were sold. Thanks for linking that thread, that's probably the most info out there!

Very little out there on Google and haven't been able to find any Raleigh catalogue/website archive from the era so still at a loss.

Would love to hear more if anyone has the knowledge!

Yeah, I've only given it a little ride but it feels great. A bit cramped but nice and sharp and lots of character!

I bought one in 2015ish as a gift for my partner at the time for circa £70 from Ebay from a lady in her 60's in Notts who had upgraded to full suspension bike iirc. My partner at the time didn't want/like it, so it went into my pile of bikes and is now used by my almost teenage daughter. Great bike and great used value. Clearly built to a price and with a 13" frame will be cramped for riders over say 5'8". As per the old ad listed above, isn't one for offroad in the peak district but for canal paths or nipping to the shops or around a park for an hour will be pretty comfortable with suspension forks and seatpost. HTH. I don't regret buying it at all. Somewhere I have its Raleigh Passport and manuals for it..

I ended up putting road tyres on it for commuting to her job. Great at that too! Xc, gravel paths and commuting 👍🏼

Sounds like a very fit for purpose bike, tyres on it look new but may put some slicks on and see what it can do.

Do either of you remember approx what they cost new? I know the MG80 forks were older tech by the time these bikes were made so not expecting it cost more than £250/£300 but would be nice to have an idea if anyone knows!

Back