Specialized Stumpjumper 1990 - For Free

Bosco29

Retro Newbie
Picked this up on Facebook marketplace the other day for free. A very nice lady had advertised a job lot of all things bike related she had found underneath the overgrowth in the new house she had just moved into. She told me to take whatever I wanted as she just wanted it gone from her new trendy garden.

I noticed that iconic Stumpjumper font from a mile away and thought it would be a nice little project for the cold nights ahead.

From doing some digging online, it seems to be a 1990 Stumpjumper Epic? but not entirely sure. Can anyone chime in with some more info? I'd love to know a little bit more about the bike and its history.

Also, I'm currently in the process of stripping it down and have run into some minor speed bumps along the way.

- The crank arms feel like they've been welded to the bb, even though the crank puller has fully engaged?
- The forks seem to be stuck to the stem. Rust I'm guessing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I got the tube out to get this as she lived right by the station. To say I got a few looks would be an understatement.

Attachments

• 2DD7373B-BBA6-4E47-A488-D8F189B7FD95.JPG
    2DD7373B-BBA6-4E47-A488-D8F189B7FD95.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Facebook 1.jpeg
    Facebook 1.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Facebook.jpeg
    Facebook.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    510.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    952.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
Both probably need some penetrative fluid (plusgas is a fave on here) and there are a couple of helpful techniques, namely;

1. Stem. Wind the bolt out of the stem at the top, so that it's proud of the top cap. Then, using a block of wood and a hammer, hit the bolt back in towards the stem. This typically separates the quill from the stem and frees it off.

2. Crank arms. Prior to using the puller, I would probably again tap the crank onto the BB using a block of wood and a hammer to free any fused rust. Then use the puller.

Usually no need for brute force.

Sometimes both are waiting games with soaking required for a few days.

Nice find, its not an Epic as you describe in the title though.

Looking forward to see this develop, please keep us posted!

Its one of these -

1664560588949.png

1664560696691.png

Dimitri @t351937 might be able to help you out with advice on parts and sizes of stuff as and when you have questions.
To have landed one with the forks and frame complete (and not have to go with U-brake traumas too) strikes me as a win for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nice find, its not an Epic as you describe in the title though.

Looking forward to see this develop, please keep us posted!

Its one of these -

View attachment 667295

View attachment 667298

Dimitri @t351937 might be able to help you out with advice on parts and sizes of stuff as and when you have questions.
To have landed one with the forks and frame complete (and not have to go with U-brake traumas too) strikes me as a win for you.

Good luck!
Ahhh I see!

Sorry, I read an article (https://www.thevintagemtb.com/post/1990-specialized-stumpjumper-epic-9x032) which led me to believe it was an Epic.

Either way, nice little project ahead!

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Both probably need some penetrative fluid (plusgas is a fave on here) and there are a couple of helpful techniques, namely;

1. Stem. Wind the bolt out of the stem at the top, so that it's proud of the top cap. Then, using a block of wood and a hammer, hit the bolt back in towards the stem. This typically separates the quill from the stem and frees it off.

2. Crank arms. Prior to using the puller, I would probably again tap the crank onto the BB using a block of wood and a hammer to free any fused rust. Then use the puller.

Usually no need for brute force.

Sometimes both are waiting games with soaking required for a few days.
Ok makes sense! no bolt at the top so one less job...

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

Back