Raleigh Banana Bike

Tel":i6vtrel7 said:
Always hard to choose tyres. Budget normally dictates it for me.

I have good experience with Specialized Armidilos.

Saying that the Michelin Dynamics (tan wall) I used for commuting were fine too. Would look right on your bike and i was using 25c which offered a little extra comfort.

Just a note on that as I gather you are more a leisurely rider than a head down a*se up kinda guy. 23c are pretty much the standard for racing tyres don't go any skinnier cos the ride will be very harsh and they would probably not sit very well on your rims. I wouldn't go any wider than 28c as they will ruin the look of your bike although they will offer extra comfort. 25c is a nice compromise perhaps...

Worth checking what width you have on there now.

Hi thanks again and the size on my bike are 700x25c , and i am looking at some Panaracer Pasela TG Road Touring/Co​mmuting at £24 plus postage and these will be 700x25c best wishes Brian.

Panaracer Pasela TG Road Touring/Co​mmuting tyres

Tel":12r6wmar said:
Good choice! Go for them I'd say.

Hi thats it then ordered the700x25c Panaracer Pasela TG Road Touring/Co​mmuting tyres and i can feel a long ride coming up without worrying about a puncture ,thanks again and all the best Brian. :D :D :D

Hi my bike is going in shortly to have the Panaracer Pasela TG Road Touring/Commuting Tyre Puncture proof 700x25c fitted it has taken a while to get hold of these as the original seller on ebay promised a lot but delivered nothing so i have had to order them again ,any way whilst in my B/shop i was thinking of having some new brakes fitted as i want to start entering some stoke on trent cycle events and was hoping some kind sole could help me in choosing some better brakes as im not sure the ones fitted are up to much, any help please,best wishes Brian.

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,143
The banana is so cool! Keep up the good work.

I have two late 80's reynolds 501 raleigh bikes, the kellogs pro tour and an eclipse. Both similar to the banana but further up the model range. I've owned the kelloggs from new (22-23yrs ago lol)

I've just fitted these calipers to my kellogs and they are brilliant, powerful, look very cool in black, and only £30 for a pair

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-velo ... -calipers/

They are dual pivot so far better than old raleigh brakes. I had to fit the long stud caliper on the rear. Along with new brake cables (only £2) the brakes are awesome, even with the original weinmann alloy levers (mine still work great so not worth replacing IMO)

I also got some new weinmann 700c black/silver wheels for £86 from my LBS (revel outdoors) which had the rear hub machined from 130 to 126 (to fit reynolds frame) and they have transformed the appearance and running of the bike. I was surprised to find a modern style wheel to fit the reynolds and old gearing setup. The rims on modern wheels make braking better anyway IMO

I've also ordered a set of these new retro style black wheels from USA for my raleigh eclipse, which i want to keep more standard/original looking

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 2306250745

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Percybigun":1tj7engk said:
The banana is so cool! Keep up the good work.

I have two late 80's reynolds 501 raleigh bikes, the kellogs pro tour and an eclipse. Both similar to the banana but further up the model range. I've owned the kelloggs from new (22-23yrs ago lol)

I've just fitted these calipers to my kellogs and they are brilliant, powerful, look very cool in black, and only £30 for a pair

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-velo ... -calipers/

They are dual pivot so far better than old raleigh brakes. I had to fit the long stud caliper on the rear. Along with new brake cables (only £2) the brakes are awesome, even with the original weinmann alloy levers (mine still work great so not worth replacing IMO)

I also got some new weinmann 700c black/silver wheels for £86 from my LBS (revel outdoors) which had the rear hub machined from 130 to 126 (to fit reynolds frame) and they have transformed the appearance and running of the bike. I was surprised to find a modern style wheel to fit the reynolds and old gearing setup. The rims on modern wheels make braking better anyway IMO

I've also ordered a set of these new retro style black wheels from USA for my raleigh eclipse, which i want to keep more standard/original looking

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 2306250745

Hi wow your wheels are awesome ,now you are giving me some thing to think about and i like the brakes so thats next ,you have some good bikes and i can certainly see why they are appealing ,i managed to fit my new tyres and innertubes today so i am pleased and intending giving the bike a good run out tomorrow ,any way thanks for your help and input best wishes Brian.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Check out the Big Autumn Clearout thread in Road For Sale. There are Some Shimano Rx100 double pivots calipers that are a bargain! These are cracking brakes.

kipperthedog":lcsq41ol said:
Check out the Big Autumn Clearout thread in Road For Sale. There are Some Shimano Rx100 double pivots calipers that are a bargain! These are cracking brakes.
Hi thanks a million for letting me know i will go take a look ,best wishes Brian.

Panaracer Pasela TG Road Touring/Commuting Tyre Puncture

Hi just fitted the Panaracer Pasela TG Road Touring/Commuting Tyre Puncture proof tyres and i am very pleased with them as they are a really good ride and look quite cool with the sidewalls being a different colour,the innertubes have been replaced as well with puncture proof ones so nearly sorted now ,cant help wondering why are the valves so long ?
Pic taken at Bath pool beautiful ride ,half canal ride ,half road ride and a wonderful place to visit ,best wishes Brian.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 639
Re: Panaracer Pasela TG Road Touring/Commuting Tyre Puncture

scarrabri":2dx7kg35 said:
Hi just fitted the Panaracer Pasela TG Road Touring/Commuting Tyre Puncture proof tyres and i am very pleased with them as they are a really good ride and look quite cool with the sidewalls being a different colour,the innertubes have been replaced as well with puncture proof ones so nearly sorted now ,cant help wondering why are the valves so long ?

Looks like the valve length on your inner tubes is for deeper "aero" rims. Doubt they'll cause you any problems though.

Your bike is looking great. You now need an arse-aching saddle to finish it off. :LOL:

Back