Raleigh Banana Bike

bikenrrd":3oj7140l said:
They're definitely from around 1988 / 1989. The frame that kipperthedog is picking up from me tonight used to be my brothers - he was about 14 when it was bought for his joint birthday-christmas present, and he was born in 1975 = 1989! :)

Hi and i think you are right as the guy at the bike shop said the same ,sorry about that my mistake best wishes Brian

bikenrrd":28uxi3nt said:
They're definitely from around 1988 / 1989. The frame that kipperthedog is picking up from me tonight used to be my brothers - he was about 14 when it was bought for his joint birthday-christmas present, and he was born in 1975 = 1989! :)

Here's a pic of Paul Sherwen (of TV commentary fame) winning the British Road title for Raleigh Banana in 1988 in Leeds

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23666168@N ... 64/detail/

gavr":yph57ln8 said:
bikenrrd":yph57ln8 said:

Here's a pic of Paul Sherwen (of TV commentary fame) winning the British Road title for Raleigh Banana in 1988 in Leeds

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23666168@N ... 64/detail/

Wow now that has made my day ,he,s nearly riding my bike ,i bet he could not afford a copy like me ,lol and had to make do with a original ,lucky so and so ,thankyou so much for posting the pics i am really made up ,very best wishes Brian. ps i hope your frame is ok

Year of manafacture

Hi i am trying to find out what year my Raleigh Banana bike was made ,there is a Swinnerton sticker on it as they sold the Bike ,so i have just rang them and the guy was real helpful ,he asked what colour was the bike ,and what gears are on it when i bought it ,so i told him its blue and yellow and had the sachs Huret Gears fitted ,he seems to think that my bike is a 1982 one as the 1987/88 ones had Reynold gears and the bike was then black and yellow ,is there another way of finding out ,only the number stamped on the bottom of the bike is partly covered and cant be read.,best wishes Brian. ps im sure he said Reynold gears ,but there again?

No it was probably Reynolds tubing that he said ;)

All the team banana bikes were out at the same time. The cheap replica, Reynolds 531 replica and the pro team, which was late 80's. In 82 it was the red black and yellow of the Raleigh Ti team, then team panasonic, then banana. Probably others in there too Castorama spring to mind....

Tel":3fn2einz said:
No it was probably Reynolds tubing that he said ;)

All the team banana bikes were out at the same time. The cheap replica, Reynolds 531 replica and the pro team, which was late 80's. In 82 it was the red black and yellow of the Raleigh Ti team, then team panasonic, then banana. Probably others in there too Castorama spring to mind....
Hi Tel i think i will have to settle for that .Brian

tyres

Hi i am about to buy some tyres ,not sure which are best but they need to be puncture proof so if any one has any idea i would be pleased to hear ,i intend doing quite a lot of road work plus a little on the canal tow path which is hell of a lot better than the roads in stoke on trent ,i have seen some Raleigh ones on ebay they are called caldera and cost about £23 plus postage seem to have a good read up but im still not sure ,any help please,Brian. sorry if im hogging the forum but i have loads of questions.

Schwalbe Blizzard Sports are good, light, cheap and have a puncture resisting band. I think I paid around £20 for 2 on Ebay. I have been quite pleased with them, good in the wet too.

kipperthedog":k6grrxgj said:
Schwalbe Blizzard Sports are good, light, cheap and have a puncture resisting band. I think I paid around £20 for 2 on Ebay. I have been quite pleased with them, good in the wet too.
Hi thanks for your reply i have been looking at these and they are on my list along with a few others,but theres so many to choose from ,so i am still not sure but thanks again and best wishes Brian.

Always hard to choose tyres. Budget normally dictates it for me.

I have good experience with Specialized Armidilos.

Saying that the Michelin Dynamics (tan wall) I used for commuting were fine too. Would look right on your bike and i was using 25c which offered a little extra comfort.

Just a note on that as I gather you are more a leisurely rider than a head down a*se up kinda guy. 23c are pretty much the standard for racing tyres don't go any skinnier cos the ride will be very harsh and they would probably not sit very well on your rims. I wouldn't go any wider than 28c as they will ruin the look of your bike although they will offer extra comfort. 25c is a nice compromise perhaps...

Worth checking what width you have on there now.

Back