Question Time

Parties like the BNP ( extreme ) are always going to gain support in difficult times like now .

cchris2lou":3037s3fz said:
Parties like the BNP ( extreme ) are always going to gain support in difficult times like now .

Well times change, but there's always some groups that aren't happy.

If they've gained support - which they have - and they are managed by incompetents - which is claimed - that's somewhat disturbing, no?

Because if it's true, how much support would they get with somebody competent in charge?

Griffo the Clown doesnt seem to be capable of saying anything coherent, just tag lines for the lowest common denominator.

Neil":2ocp0tr2 said:
cchris2lou":2ocp0tr2 said:

If they've gained support - which they have - and they are managed by incompetents - which is claimed - that's somewhat disturbing, no?

Because if it's true, how much support would they get with somebody competent in charge?

but only incompetent people can say things like they say .

cchris2lou":hu41ezo9 said:
Neil":hu41ezo9 said:
cchris2lou":hu41ezo9 said:

Depends on how you are assessing them, though.

I'm not really arguing the point against whether he's incompetent, I guess what I'm saying is that if so, imagine what sort of support they'd have with somebody truly sharp in charge.

legrandefromage":1ohv6mw8 said:
Griffo the Clown doesnt seem to be capable of saying anything coherent, just tag lines for the lowest common denominator.

listen! I used big words so I must be right!

:D :D :D

Neil":28n5sn00 said:
cchris2lou":28n5sn00 said:
Neil":28n5sn00 said:
cchris2lou":28n5sn00 said:

Depends on how you are assessing them, though.

I'm not really arguing the point against whether he's incompetent, I guess what I'm saying is that if so, imagine what sort of support they'd have with somebody truly sharp in charge.

ah well, we wouldn't be in this mess if people actually turned out and voted, that's the real reason they got in, most people were apathetic and the only ones with a bit of passion had extreme views. If we had 80% turn out there wouldn't be any BNP elected members imo.

legrandefromage wrote:

listen! I used big words so I must be right!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LGF for MP :D

Easy_Rider":3qzm8fqk said:
ah well, we wouldn't be in this mess if people actually turned out and voted, that's the real reason they got in, most people were apathetic and the only ones with a bit of passion had extreme views. If we had 80% turn out there wouldn't be any BNP elected members imo.

Voter apathy and luck, then? Or a bit of opportuinism?

Don't get me wrong, I generally buy into the never ascribe to malice, thing. But - they are where they are, and voter apathy is probably of similar bounds most of the time - if they are largely managed by incompetents (or led by them) then how would they manage with intelligent people pulling the strings.

What I'm wondering is, whether any cunning behind the scenes is being seen as stupid/funny/incompetent at the top by the masses.

All the time, really, though, and I'm wondering whether this whole "It's the price you pay for free speech" thing isn't just something of a big old crock. I know the extremist argument against it (fascist regimes) but all the same I'm wondering whether society has to allow a voice and presence to things like this, and other extremisms in society.

I know people would think the sky would fall, and cry "Who decides!?" but that's always the same, in democracry - largely society and the electorate would decide. I'm not talking about one despot who can rule on what can be talked about freely in society and hold politic.

Sometimes things that are allowed to go on in society - like extreme religious views that are often the impetus behind some behaviours like terrorism, or factors like the BNP getting their foot in the door in politics - just seem bizarre - like we're simply letting it happen because we're either too polite, or to "developed" as a society to call time, say stop, and decide that there is a limit to what things are allowed public, influential credence in society.

I'm rambling, there, and I suspect just throwing something out that I'm not entirely sure I'm fully behind, but I do believe that society has gone too far in acceptance of extreme beliefs and them having a voice.

Neil":3uova4wm said:
Is Free Speech all it's cracked up to be, and such a great thing for society?

Oh yes free speech is all is cracked up to be. Who would be the person to decide who shouldn't have a voice? What if that person decided that 90% of us shouldn't have a voice? or 99% of us.

The great thing with extremes is it enables the majority of us to realise what 'normal' is. If all you see is extreme right wing (such as 1930s Germany), then it becomes the norm, and so no one questions it. Similarly if all you see is middle of the road, non confrontational politics (such as the situation with Lib, Lab and Cons currently) then there is 'no point in voting as they're all the same', hence voter apathy, hence extreme parties get represented.

To quote the gay Devil from South Park the Movie:
'Without any evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometimes'

Personally I don't think support has increased dramatically for the BNP, proportionally less people voted for others as they were too lazy. The BNP was clever in rallying people in the hardest hit areas by using a soft target ie 'unemployment is because of foreigners' and 'your sons are dying in a war against foreigners'. It happened in the last ressession and it'll happen in the next.

The joy of this situation is now people realise that the BNP/NF never went away. It's a rallying cry to the apathetic voters of this nation that their vote [does count and that not all parties are the same. If we don't act on this then we have no right to complain and bitch.

EDIT: bloody computer, it looks like I've had to edit this loads but I haven't, stupid computer won't play ball....

I'm sure you all remember when Sin Fein were banned. When one of their members appeared on TV they showed the visual and then overdubbed with someone elses voice. Hilarious and a missed opportunity for some fun.

This Griffin bloke is perfect for the roll of BNP leader. He's a complete idiot and talks utter crap- he can really connect with the complete idiots that talk utter crap that vote for them, and there are many!. Its a masterstroke.

Now if the population of the UK were all fat, one eyed, Scottish morons* labour would walk the next election.

*Quote from Mr Clarkson of the BBC

Back