Quarantine Project Ms Isle

Jaswam

Retro Newbie
Evening all. First time posting and looking for advice.

Not been riding for many years. I have been reacquainted with a childhood bike and it’s time to get out there again. Currently I have a stock Military Green, Orange Ms Isle. Hopefully I can make this a project and blog over the coming months and get back riding trails again. I have a lot to learn!!

I love the colour so the frame can keep its love marks but I’m looking to give it a full detail and would remove the stickers if I knew I could find some originals so the hunt begins if anyone has good ideas. I have fired off an Email to Orange.

On the assumption the only part to stay is the frame as I always dreamed of doing a rebuild. A grey one featured previously and its exactly the sort of thing I’m thinking.

Never rebuilt a bike before so today I decided to break it down and start the process.

Everything is off except the crank and bottom bracket. No matter how much force I use it will not budge. I think I need a professional in that area. That can be done after lockdown is over.

Next order of business is thinking about parts and making a plan. This should be worth doing right so will need to save up for a better bike in the long run.

I’m open to all suggestions. I will be researching myself but hoping some people will have the inside track to help on this journey.

More to follow

Re:

Hello hello!

First project is always a learning curve.

Are you going period correct components or modernising?

Forks and wheels are usually where I start, anything in mind?

Re:

...also what are you planning to use it for when completed?

Building something you’ve always wanted but might not be very usable on a daily basis is a different project to creating a new daily rider with a retro twist if that makes sense?

I think this will be a modernisation project.

Forks i have been looking at Marzocchi - Fox - Rockshox. Ideally want 120/150. I have a set of wheels and hubs that seem in good condition. Before i set up them up i will get checked with a bike shop for a service and new tyres.

This bike is going to be toy for me. Jumping around town, quick blasts after work in the evening and some weekend time at a local trails course with a few easy jumps. Nothing major just fun for the weekend. If i get back into this full time i will go for a new build on a proper full suspension set up.

I will be trying to grab some picks over the coming days but need to learn how to reduce the size to get them on the forum to share.

Re:

In terms of re-sizing pics I’ve been using the Minima app for years but there are many solutions.

I think you’re on the right track in terms of build plan.

If you’re doing a light modernisation options will be plentiful and cheap. Also you’ll be happy to abuse it without fear of damaging some hard to find NOS parts.

9 & 10 speed XT is cheap as chips and if you do end up buying wheels Hopes can be snagged for less than £100.

Great forks come up for less than £100 too.

Colour scheme is the fun part, black looks good with military green IMO but it’s all wonderfully subjective!

Will be looking saw on another thread image size app so have got that for testing.

Perfect. Have started a spreadsheet so will work everything from there to begin with.

Once i have more data together i will get to up here for everyone to critique.

I had Shimano Deore but they seem toast with a rusty chain.

Deep cleaning starts today and will take a while to assess the situation.

Yes i think green black and red something like DMR V8 Pedals in red :)

Once i have some picks i will get them up here.

This is the start of my journey. Sorry if the next couple of posts get messed up.

Cleaned as much as possible with the tools and cleaning products at hand. New purchases will go on order soon.

If anyone has advice of which bike shops local to Bristol could be good for help with a stuck set of cranks and headset removal much appreciated. Heard good things about Bristol Bike Workshop in the centre.

Keep you posted with future updates and questions. Will also be looking at threads and forums for advice but hoping to make this a motivational blog.

Thanks all!!

Attachments

• IMG_13Apr2020at141540.jpg
    IMG_13Apr2020at141540.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_13Apr2020at141904.jpg
    IMG_13Apr2020at141904.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 352
  • IMG_13Apr2020at142012.jpg
    IMG_13Apr2020at142012.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 352
Re:

To get the cranks off, are you using a crank puller/tool or simply trying to prise them off with the bolts removed?

Back