Proof you can polish a Turd or at least roll it in Glitter!

Re:

unit3":221ge7tz said:
I'm enjoying this build, it is a nice change to the norm :cool:

Did you get your little white envelope?

Niall.

Hi Niall

The envelope arrived yesterday (Big thanks) had to get the guys in the office to send it to my home address....as I never had chance to get in there prior to taking holiday :oops:

glad your liking a build that's a bit different, it's certainly a long way from a Fat or Klein although I hope the quality of my build won't be too shoddy all the same.

Re:

Bloody Hell Carl your like a one man encyclopedia :shock:

you certainly know how to enriched a thread with your contribution(s)

I have to admit I genuinely thought URT's were the preserve of bikes being sold in pay weekly catalogue's these days, so imagine my surprise at seeing the advert for a rig like the Zorro 29'er

I checked out the link you kindly supplied and what a wealth of information, allows for a great insight into the mindset behind the design, Admittedly I read through the pages owing to having a vested interested in the subject matter rather than avid patent reader ;)

thanks for taking enough of an interest in this thread to dig out the information you posted up, that track down to Burrator Reservoir looks a great ride, what got you to travel that far south ? …….it’s almost in Silverfish's backyard

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":3kb7ong9 said:
unit3":3kb7ong9 said:
I'm enjoying this build, it is a nice change to the norm :cool:

Did you get your little white envelope?

Niall.

Hi Niall

The envelope arrived yesterday (Big thanks) had to get the guys in the office to send it to my home address....as I never had chance to get in there prior to taking holiday :oops:

glad your liking a build that's a bit different, it's certainly a long way from a Fat or Klein although I hope the quality of my build won't be too shoddy all the same.

Cool, hope they are of some use.

:shock: Far from shoddy bud, love what your doing :cool:

Re:

If anyone fancies some bed time reading of 20 year old patents, here's a small teaser of what your missing if you fail to click on Carls link above :LOL:

Spud©™

Attachments

• patent 2.jpg
    patent 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,293
  • patent 1a.jpg
    patent 1a.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,293

Retro Spud":1fp3u4oa said:
Bloody Hell Carl your like a one man encyclopedia :shock:

you certainly know how to enriched a thread with your contribution(s)

I have to admit I genuinely thought URT's were the preserve of bikes being sold in pay weekly catalogue's these days, so imagine my surprise at seeing the advert for a rig like the Zorro 29'er

I checked out the link you kindly supplied and what a wealth of information, allows for a great insight into the mindset behind the design, Admittedly I read through the pages owing to having a vested interested in the subject matter rather than avid patent reader ;)

thanks for taking enough of an interest in this thread to dig out the information you posted up, that track down to Burrator Reservoir looks a great ride, what got you to travel that far south ? …….it’s almost in Silverfish's backyard

Glad its of interest mate, its hard to forget some roots.

Darren and I go back far further than the days of Silverfish. and that trail makes for a great inclusion on a day ride, and is something im very proud to say has its roots for me in the founder days of the Yogi's, which back then was little more than a small band of brothers which met on a Wednesday nite at 6pm, and again on sundays setting off from plymbridge woods, and a far cry from the club it has become.

:cool:

Re: Proof you can polish a Turd (Schwinn FS)

Just read this all from the start, a lovely project worthy of your attention to detail.

Re:

Im told, when when Scot Nicol was at the Mission workshop, a member of the audience ask about the Early suspension design (the Szazbo)...

He simply replied, it was like turning a sandwich into a banquet.

Lol... (whether this is true sadly I cant say as I wasn't there but....)

:cool:

Re: Proof you can polish a Turd (Schwinn FS)

Excellent build so far Retro as it's great finally seeing some one taking the time to put one of these beauties back on the trail and it also makes me wonder why i got rid of my Moab sweetspot FS back in 97 :facepalm: , any way i can't wait to see your next update as this build will look the Dogz when you've completed it :cool: ..

Muddy..

Re:

definately no Turd! Must admit i have a sweet spot for Schwinn bikes! Can't understand why they are not more appreciated?

Retro Spud":2c5aobab said:
Judging by the lack of interest I know most of you must be thinking I'm only trying to Polish Turd... but what a great turd :LOL:

Although this frame came to me great shape, I thought prior to starting the build a real good clean and polish should be order of the day so I removed the rear end and having seen what others have achieved on this front with a bit of elbow grease I set to work with 2,400 grit as the starter then Autosol as main course and followed up with T-Cut and a soft cloth for dessert
When it comes to polishing metal gotta say a big thanks to WD-Pro for his master class and inspiration in a single thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=198359

Just love the complexity of this URT design and number of welds, at a quick count it’s made up of 22 components all carefully welded together, sure took a lot of effort to design & build “Sweet Spot” Technology whether it works or not remains to be seen…. Although I guess history has already proved that one “It didn’t !” however this forum it littered with out of date technology otherwise we’d all be riding 29er’s or Phat bikes GOD BLESS OBSOLESCENCE

I was so pleased with the results I ended up digging out some old Syncros cranks and set about polishing them as well, I’ve now got 99% of the parts for a XTR /M950 catalogue build but since they came up so well I’m toying with the idea of going down a different route and going with a Syncros Post,Stem,Bar and B.B

The cranks came up so well I just had to fit a bit of SRP bling front and back

its gonna be one shinny Turd :LOL:

WOW! I hope my Turd comes out as Nice as yours! No one seems to like a Turd these days... Every Turd needs some Love...

Back