Project: Shed(s)

That's looking excellent. Given the challenging weather (!) what are you going to coat or finish this in to extend and protect it's life?
It's tanalised, so should last a while 🤞 My other shed is clad in the same stuff and has been there for 10 years now. Having said that I'll let it weather to grey for a year and then coat it with a clear preservative

Please come around to my house and build me a shed.

Thank you.

al.

I'll take that as a maybe.

al.

The worry will always be the first timber rotting out before the last timbers are in place 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: al
I organize by component:
-Components are sorted using very large stackable Stanley bins, opened front for easy access
-I disassemble just about everything to save space
-V brake, canti brakes, brake levers respectively are zip tied together; example left and right v-brake piece zip tied together, left and right lever zip tied together
-Matching crank arms zip tied together
-Matching, complete chain rings zip tied together
-Specific small parts that compliment a larger component are zip lock bagged togther; example being cranks, rings and bolts or complete brake set
-Bins are labeled with a label maker, all the same size and font
-Depending on condition or rarity, the component is bubble wrapped, weighed, measured, notes included then zip lock bagged
-Most components are weighed and labeled before being placed in the bins
-Conversely, a complete donor bike will be stripped and ALL the parts placed into an isolated bin

-Tubes are binned by size and by valve type, folded and bound with rubber bands
-Tires are folded, zip tied and binned by diameter

-Project bikes have their own specific bins where the parts are placed in their own respective bins, separate from other projects and loose parts
-Project bike bins have note cards with dates when parts are added, this way I can see the card and quickly note what parts are missing to move forward

-Very small parts like cable ends, tiny little cable donut frame saver ring thingies, head spacers, noodles are all grouped by component type; tiny brake parts are all grouped together, cable relevant parts grouped together, etc.

-Bolts and nuts are grouped by size

Takes a lot of time to set up, but once your system is in place, modification or simply adhering to the system is second-thought.

Last edited:
I organize by component:
-Components are sorted using very large stackable Stanley bins, opened front for easy access
-I disassemble just about everything to save space
-V brake, canti brakes, brake levers respectively are zip tied together; example left and right v-brake piece zip tied together, left and right lever zip tied together
-Matching crank arms zip tied together
-Matching, complete chain rings zip tied together
-Specific small parts that compliment a larger component are zip lock bagged togther; example being cranks, rings and bolts or complete brake set
-Bins are labeled with a label maker, all the same size and font
-Depending on condition or rarity, the component is bubble wrapped, weighed, measured, notes included then zip lock bagged
-Most components are weighed and labeled before being placed in the bins
-Conversely, a complete donor bike will be stripped and ALL the parts placed into an isolated bin

-Tubes are binned by size and by valve type, folded and bound with rubber bands
-Tires are folded, zip tied and binned by diameter

-Project bikes have their own specific bins where the parts are placed in their own respective bins, separate from other projects and loose parts
-Project bike bins have note cards with dates when parts are added, this way I can see the card and quickly note what parts are missing to move forward

-Very small parts like cable ends, tiny little cable donut frame saver ring thingies, head spacers, noodles are all grouped by component type; tiny brake parts are all grouped together, cable relevant parts grouped together, etc.

-Bolts and nuts are grouped by size

Takes a lot of time to set up, but once your system is in place, modification or simply adhering to the system is second-thought.

I'm not quite there yet, but it's something to aim for :)

I'm not quite there yet, but it's something to aim for :)
There is always room for improvement. I am at the point, tools included, that I need a larger space. Force yourself to get all your bins, all the same size, stackable and clear/transparent. For small parts, you can use a fishing tackle box or sewing machine box. Those come with tons of adjustable sides to fit all kinds of tiny things. Get some beer and music and dedicate a Sunday with a modest goal like organizing all your cranks or clearing an area for all your new bins. You can do it!

Good to hear! A neighbour of mine (2 doors up) wrote of her nextdoor neighbours van. She was a frail old lady and had a modified Motorbility? car. Sometime went wrong with it and she ended up driving straight into it a some crazy speed writing-off the van, damaging the pavement and demolishing the boundary wall of his property. Cars can be dangerous things! Or is that the little people who drive them? 🤔
What tends to happen is they mistake the accelerator for the brake, but as the car begins to move faster, because they still think they are pressing the brake, they just press harder and harder, yet the car isn't slowing down. You can see it on lots of CCTV incidents. The cars always accelerate until they crash into something. It looks weird until you realise what the person is doing.
They'll even claim "the brakes didn't work".
Toyota had to recall millions of cars because of a) one bloke with Munchausens, but then b) loads of people who made the above mistake but jumped on the chance to blame the car manufacturer. No fault has ever been found in the brakes of all those Toyotas that crashed.

Latest posts

Back