BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
@Tootyred's thread in the MTB Chat section got me thinking about my own shed and what a state it is in, and has been for years. I'm hoping this will motivate me to try and see if I can, over the coming months, improve on the current situation. It's more for my own use than anything else but I'd absolutely welcome others to share their ideas, suggestions and thoughts. I'm considering many things here including useful storage solutions, downsizing parts and my own mental health. More current pics to follow but here we are at ground zero.

IMG_6052.jpg

Well I've been a man in various sheds and workshops for about 30 years...yes having everything in its place at hand systemized is a nice feeling,coming up with ingenious solutions for non problems can feel awesome....yeah I did that .....I fixed this...now I'm gonna fix that....and so forth...! But ask yourself why are you in there?

Is it to be the most organised and neat custodian of stuff who dedicates way too much time to this and that whilst falling In thehe trap of....oh forgot I had that...hmm I'll just do this with that...hang on I could do this instead... maybe I'll just put that there and do something else....oh bugger I've just dented that frame...ahhhrrgghhh! ....or is it to be awesome and build bikes?

You can replace stuff easy....making space is the hard bit! And from my experience space is the most important thing in any workshop! It's not just about space in the workshop it's.... headspace....

A simple trick I use is.....clear a whole wall....bare... nada...nowt... nothing! Paint it white! That makes the space feel way bigger and also gives that blank space to stare at free of clutter to focus the mind on the project.....and then treat that wall as sacred space do not reclutter it!

Well I've been a man in various sheds and workshops for about 30 years...yes having everything in its place at hand systemized is a nice feeling,coming up with ingenious solutions for non problems can feel awesome....yeah I did that .....I fixed this...now I'm gonna fix that....and so forth...! But ask yourself why are you in there?

Is it to be the most organised and neat custodian of stuff who dedicates way too much time to this and that whilst falling In thehe trap of....oh forgot I had that...hmm I'll just do this with that...hang on I could do this instead... maybe I'll just put that there and do something else....oh bugger I've just dented that frame...ahhhrrgghhh! ....or is it to be awesome and build bikes?

You can replace stuff easy....making space is the hard bit! And from my experience space is the most important thing in any workshop! It's not just about space in the workshop it's.... headspace....

A simple trick I use is.....clear a whole wall....bare... nada...nowt... nothing! Paint it white! That makes the space feel way bigger and also gives that blank space to stare at free of clutter to focus the mind on the project.....and then treat that wall as sacred space do not reclutter it!
I find it difficult to part with stuff, which isn’t very healthy I know. It won’t be a quick turnaround, as I have other things to keep me busy but fingers crossed, I can make some inroads. I’ll keep your suggestions in mind :)

I feel your pain, everytime I buy something new I say something must go... 1 shed fuller than that, another on the verge of collapse half full, and a bungalow full of bikes or part builds... :eek:

Back