Proflex 857 (Re)Build...

jimo746":1lv0qsix said:
I think the 857 frameset is well worthy of hanging newer components on, I'm not a fan of orange (reminds me of the asbo orange Focus ST :LOL:) but together with the black & carbon it does look good. Is it the Noleen shock on the rear still?

Yup, still the noleen shock.

Well, almost up and running, just the front mech to connect up, and check the all bolts and I think Its good to go! Belive it or not, the saddle on its lowest setting (as it is in the picture) is the correct height for me!

NAILTRAIL96":1wdd3j9j said:
Your rear shock is different to mine, but then who's to say mine is right.
Mine has no remote resevior on it.
The noleen with the piggyback reservoir. That is noleen's best shock, an NR4. Worth rebuilding if need be. Best to put a sock on it too.

Not a huge fan of Proflex but I love the combo of the orange and black.

Reminds me of this

Limited-Edition-McLaren-F1-LM-1-8-Scale-Luxury-Replica-6.jpg

shovelon":3957c8b2 said:
NAILTRAIL96":3957c8b2 said:
The noleen with the piggyback reservoir. That is noleen's best shock, an NR4. Worth rebuilding if need be. Best to put a sock on it too.

Cool, whats a good one to get then?

SantaCruzBlur":ij5xvm5b said:
shovelon":ij5xvm5b said:
NAILTRAIL96":ij5xvm5b said:

Cool, whats a good one to get then?
I use lizard skins shock boots myself. Keeps the sand from being driven into the seals from the bottom out bumper.
51mlToZLGrL._AA300_.jpg

Yup, I use those Lizard Skins shock boot things front & rear, do a good job of keeping the crud out.
Shock choice on the Proflex is limited at the rear due to the stupid cone-shaped fitting they used, hence most shocks will noy fit unless you fabricate some sort of adapter up.
Noleen/J6 still sell the shocks though, and Risse Racing do compatible shocks.

one thing i noticed with the front shock, when you compress the fork - the first inch or so is smoooth, then it goes really stiff but still moves. Its almost like theres no damping then the piston hist the oil. Does anyone know if there is place in the UK that can rebuild them? Or is it a case of finding a replacement?

SantaCruzBlur":31ucxb2p said:
one thing i noticed with the front shock, when you compress the fork - the first inch or so is smoooth, then it goes really stiff but still moves. Its almost like theres no damping then the piston hist the oil. Does anyone know if there is place in the UK that can rebuild them? Or is it a case of finding a replacement?
Could need a rebuild. I hated my noleen front shock until it blew and lost all it's oil. Then I LOVED it! I even contemplated drilling a zerk fitting for grease only. Then I bought a Risse airshock, hated it and sold the fork off.

My suggestion is keep riding it until it loses all it's oil, then consider a rebuild. I just stiffened up the spring when the oil was gone and pounded it hard for quite some time and found no fault with it. I eventually went for a Noleen megaAir, love it. Have 4 now.

Back