Powder coating

Skinwhistle

Old School Hero
Silly question really?!? Maybe I should already know? But, can an aluminium frame be powder coated? I mean, is the process the same as powder coating steel frames?
Thanks
Carl :oops:

Alumimium can certainly be powdercoated, I had some motorcycle wheels done a few years ago. My advice to you would be to find a decent bead blasting company, as the wheels came out slightly pitted after they were shot blasted.

In comparison, the steel tubular frame looked like new, after being shot blasted and powdercoated by the same companies at the same time as the wheels.

Hope this helps

Marge

Dont let anyone shot blast your Ali frame :shock: ..could well be the end of if you do, think i have read on here that soda blasting is the way to go with Ali frames, Ali tubes can be very thin in places ;)
Mick :)

godders":p8k3zgja said:
Dont let anyone shot blast your Ali frame :shock: ..could well be the end of if you do, think i have read on here that soda blasting is the way to go with Ali frames, Ali tubes can be very thin in places ;)
Mick :)

Second that, I have seen two frames that broke fairly soon after they were sandblasted and powedercoated.
instead of blasting you can also put them in a 'chemical bath' to remove paint

I had a Malt 2 powder coated last year and it came out nicely. Only ridden off road a little since, but had a fair bit of use and not fallen apart yet!

Shame the Lava Dome I took to the same place came back horrible.

if they are going to blast off the old..ask them what with and what experience do they have with aluminium

Back