1991 Trek 8900 - Florescent resto happiness (almost NOS)

What an outstanding bike and love the back story. Trek really did well specing this one. Bullseye hubs on a stock build from Trek? Wow. The frame is beautiful, did you weight it? Just curious, it looks light. Overall a stunner of a bike, the RS-1s with neon lettering, etc. I love Sugino XP cranks, I have a pair myself. The XC Pro pedals and group are some of my favorites, too bad Suntour disappeared and stopped making these parts.

Simply stunning! Great job, but I shouldn’t expect anything less from an old school bike mechanic! Amazingly clean workshop too. x2 things for me to be very jealous of! 🤣

That's all my photos for now... maybe ill get some once its out in the wild and muddy one day. Its been an expensive retro build but no regrets and glad another retro bike lives on in all its glory.
How do you like the ride? I had one: prettiest bike i ever had but...

Epic!

Would be cool if you could get the period Trek racing jersey and shorts to complete the look when you ride it 😀

Even the jockey wheels have cartridge bearings as standard = not bad for 1991 (lots of polishing being done at this point)

View attachment 618160View attachment 618161
How did you polish the black (ano?) parts of the derailleurs without hazing?

This is a fantastic find.... pretty expensive, but the flouro is awesome! I had an early 90s 930 in black and yellow flouro just like this one when I was a kid. Granted this is a higher race series bike with the composite frame and better components, but the flouro brings back memories!

One of my favorite bike !
I love those early neon trek !
very good job and an amazing shape !
What about Grafton brake caliper ?

Three answers to three questions regarding:

How it rides = not hopped on it yet, but will do. Position wise its more relaxed/comfy and upright compared to many of my other retro builds.

Trek top = yes I actually have one, from exactly that year and will grab a photo of it. I used to wear it on my Peugeot MTB bizarrely.

Grafton brakes = Yes the bike had them, the seller had kept them for a build, I'm trying to persuade him to sell them to me. The dia compe ones are of the lower Trek 8700 the seller had I think. If I can get them then i'll update the build accordingly.

Latest posts

Back