Poll: Should the General and Off Topic section be removed?

Should the General & Off-Topic section be removed from Retrobike?

• Remove it. It's all about the bikes!

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Keep it. I get bored with bikes!

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

KDM":3csivqhq said:
Politics, sex and religion are always heart warmers in the discussion stakes.

Dare I say those who do not like it are suffering from the dreaded special snowflake disease. They go into some threads and then complain about those threads rather than take some personal responsibility themselves of, if you don't like it, do go in. No one forces you in there
That.

I disagree with lots of people about lots of things, but I can't understand the attitude to ban them from expressing their side, or to stifle debate altogether.

As far as OT forums go this one is about the most benign I've ever encountered. It's about as far from vitriolic as can be.

Re:

It's a keep from me, the useful stuff/help that can be found on non bike related topics wouldn't fit anywhere else - if it went, would these threads just end up in another section, or would I have head off to STW with there complicated modern contraptions?

Re: Should the General and Off Topic section be removed?

Adruzzz":1nqtd1ay said:
legrandefromage":1nqtd1ay said:
It used to be that politics and religion were not to be discussed.

Keep it, its a community, things other than bicycles need our combined knowledge and expertise (speaking as an 'engineer').

That last bit brought to you by the year 2010.

mdvineng":1nqtd1ay said:
keep it but add the rule that no politics or religion be posted and feel free to add to that list any time when vitriolic spleen letting gets out of bounds :)

+1 with the above sentiments :D

As above. But if no limitations on topics I'd rather ban it.

for some retrobike members this is the only section they frequent.
if we got rid of it would those members just leave ?
in that case i vote to get rid.

Re:

technodup":2g2fef4c said:
I disagree with lots of people about lots of things, but I can't understand the attitude to ban them from expressing their side, or to stifle debate altogether.

I can't see anyone being banned from expressing their opinion but I 'can' see them being banned for the manner in which they do so.

What is there to actually gain by closing it? If you don't like, don't go there. Simple.

I get that it may sometimes be a pain in the arse for the mods (who do a fine job, imho), but if people just remember a few basic rules then all should be fine.

technodup":2rzk77ow said:
KDM":2rzk77ow said:
Politics, sex and religion are always heart warmers in the discussion stakes.

Dare I say those who do not like it are suffering from the dreaded special snowflake disease. They go into some threads and then complain about those threads rather than take some personal responsibility themselves of, if you don't like it, do go in. No one forces you in there
That.

As far as OT forums go this one is about the most benign I've ever encountered. It's about as far from vitriolic as can be.

You two are jokes :LOL:

Yeah, just jog-on if you don't like it. Because that's how life works isn't it and it's what both of you do.

This site is about the 'golden' age of mountain biking. On that:

videojetman":2rzk77ow said:
for some retrobike members this is the only section they frequent.

If bikes aren't the primary importance of visiting or contributing to the site then perhaps it's worth finding somewhere where political or any other non-biking related discussions with like minded folks is. If you want to chat about other things, use the PM functionality or God forbid this crazy idea, meet up on Skype or in real life! Imagine that!

I really side with the mod's on this. It must be a right pain in the arse and the silly thing is, it's totally avoidable if:

IanS62":2rzk77ow said:
...people just remember a few basic rules.

Sadly by limiting topics you're adding another layer of interpretation and rule bending. So shut down the sub-forum and give everyone a break and refocus on what this site was designed for.

have a paid members area for heated off topic chit chat topics such as about religion, politics and whether you should have bar ends on risers ;)

i like it but it can get boring at times and loses the general banter due to present media focused topics etc

Al let me show you why what you have said is rather hypercritical

al-onestare":2wnoiji9 said:
You two are jokes :LOL:

Yeah, just jog-on if you don't like it. Because that's how life works isn't it and it's what both of you do.

but a few sentences later you said this

al-onestare":2wnoiji9 said:
If bikes aren't the primary importance of visiting or contributing to the site then perhaps it's worth finding somewhere where political or any other non-biking related discussions with like minded folks is.

You cannot call others out then go and do the exact same thing you have just called others out for

I personally use the bike part of the forum on every visit but also take part in some threads in the general and off topic and many other parts of the forum

But it does raise a point, if some are so precious that an open debate which forces NO ONE to join in is going on, then perhaps those who are "delicate" should evaluate whether some threads, are not for them, you know that old fashioned pre social justice warrior snowflake thing called personal responsibility?

Most of the general and off topic threads seem to have a good mix I feel of opinions, personalities and options, it certainly shows we are varied.

If however we get someone as I'm sure we have all seen in other forums, feel they are debate heavyweights based on copy and pasting wikipedia and then see they are not as smart as they think then lash out and try to shut others down or even, whole parts of a forum down, then those people should probably for their own welfare, not join in the totally optional debate?

KDM":3m80xno2 said:
Al let me show you why you are a hypocrite

this is exactly how the pain in the arse threads start, quoting and then picking apart threads then name calling, i can see me editing this thread :roll:

would appreciate this thread not turning in to a bunfight.

state your reasons for and against personally then vote and leave it at that,

i would suggest we all have different opinions (shocker!) some thing like the subject matter is a simple for and against so picking at other peoples reasons is pointless so please don't bother.

we the mods will keep an eye on this thread and then take the information gained and decide what we think will suit the forum best

Back