Poll: Should the General and Off Topic section be removed?

Should the General & Off-Topic section be removed from Retrobike?

• Remove it. It's all about the bikes!

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Keep it. I get bored with bikes!

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Should the General and Off Topic section be removed?

I'm ambivalent but there's plenty of off-topic stuff people want to chat about. Some threads get a bit heated but, so what, they soon enough fizzle out. I voted remain...shit, sorry, I mean keep!

Re:

Voted to keep it. Bikes are never boring, but some of the regular posters in the section can be.

So what if the debates get heated, strong difference of opinion, persuasive rhetoric, etc. it's healthy to bounce thoughts around current affairs while pondering how many different BCD standards the STX gruppo had.

I'm a member of another forum where there is a strict no politics rule - it's for the better of that site imho.

Re:

Politics, sex and religion are always heart warmers in the discussion stakes.

Dare I say those who do not like it are suffering from the dreaded special snowflake disease. They go into some threads and then complain about those threads rather than take some personal responsibility themselves of, if you don't like it, don't go in. No one forces you in there, someone is wrong on the internet is not an excuse

I have however sometimes used forums that have a "hot box" type section that cannot be seen by guests but can only be seen by members and when they have signed in.

These sections normally though tend to need a more hands on moderating

I'd like to keep the general and off topic section as despite one or two political threads, other stuff gets talked about in there too.

Re:

try being an impartial moderator when the the poop hits the fan between a few members, then put up with people accusing you of favouritism, or picking on them (when it was them being a knob but they don't want to hear it) or boring you with endless Pm's saying that a certain member is being a knob and then when you try and see both sides because they were just as bad they then get offended.

the general section can be a massive bore as far as i'm concerned, trying to have rules about not talking about certain subjects doesn't work as people just ignore rules, then when we enforce rules or delete silly/stupid/offensive threads we then get moaned at for being draconian.

as a moderator i/we can't win.

the general section is the cause of almost all the arguments on the site, the exception is sales gone wrong. the thing that's funny (sort of) is that ranting on the net on a bike website about politics is pointless anyway, trying to convince someone your way of thinking when they have the opposite view is not gonna happen so it turns in to constant quoting and attempts to pick apart someone elses argument and then ends up with "you're stupid/racist/bigoted/lefty/tory/sexist/offensive", pick one.

yawn. i assume you can guess my vote.

Re:

I think the problem is the sheer amount of time that the (unpaid) mods spend having to go through all the posts that are causing problems. Most people cannot control themselves, especially on the tinternet and can become keyboard warriors, armchair politicians etc. :LOL:

Banning politics and religion would solve a lot of problems I feel :D

maybe we could have a section just for sensitive subjects where people are free to vent their spleens. and the happy retrobiker can enjoy the site with out fear of entering into some handbag laden thread about political or any other spew people care to regurgetate.

i think the general and off topic section is an essential part of this site and i get some great advice about non bike subjects.

Back