POLL: Best Kona Year

Well, my faves so far are:
-my '01 Kilauea. Stiff yet supple, great geometry, and such a stealthy looking beast :cool: rare too... doesn't technically exist (not in the catalogues at least ;) )

-and '90 Cindercone... not ridden mine yet (not even met it) but a ride bitd literally changed my view of what a mountain bike should be!!

G

Drewson":1kckm1s7 said:
88-90 just for the splatter paint jobs alone....but not for the angles so much..though 89/90 were better than 88/89 on that front....

I had my '88 Explosif out on a club ride last Sunday, and with the fast/whippety group too. There was nothing wrong with the angles in 1988 and there's nothing wrong with them now either.

It was a great race bike (for me at least) in the late '80s/early 90s and I must get it out in a race again one of these days.

Not an up to date photo though - now with Easton EA70 post and stem and Monkeylite bars, SDG TiFly saddle plus Shadow rear mech and 9 speed cassette.

Attachments

• 1988-Explosif-1.jpg
    1988-Explosif-1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 493
I've ridden lots of them and you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a better all round frame than the 98 Explosif ;)

I want to say its the 97 Explosif :? its definitely a better race frame and if I'm chasing people quicker than me for a couple of hours I'll grab it first and have a great time ;) but for longer rides I'll grab the 98 every time :cool:

Also have a bit of a soft spot for the 95 Kilauea :cool:

88 and 89 are my fav years, u-brake, 1 inch headtube and splatter, looks awesome. the explosif from 1990 with the track two fork is also superbe.

cheers

TBG......mines still ripping... :cool:

Attachments

• 202kuy_179.jpg
    202kuy_179.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 755
  • tange_prestige_concept_track_iis_613.jpg
    tange_prestige_concept_track_iis_613.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 755
'97/'98 for looks, decals, proper v brake stop etc but my fave to ride is the '95 Explosif :cool:

The memories of my '91 Cindercone just gives it the edge over the better ride of my '92 Kilauea

IS THERE REALLY A BAD YEAR FOR A HARDTAIL KONA......?

Attachments

• too_much_coffee_119.jpg
    too_much_coffee_119.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 664
Back