Plz help identifying mountain bike frame

Anthony":37bp0y8r said:
I would say it's a Merlin TDB (which stands for Tange double-butted). The Ritchey dropouts and wishbone stays are consistent, and it looks quite like the example below, which was advertised on eBay a few years ago.

I don't know which (Taiwanese) factory is 'S', but 9708 tells you the date of manufacture was August 97, so it's a 1997 or 98 model. Some VooDoos of around that time have S serials, but in a slightly different format.

I presume the tubeset is Tange MTB, i.e., double-butted, but not heat-treated like the Merlin WCS (which was made of Ritchey WSC, i.e., Ritchey's reworked version of Tange Prestige). It was Merlin's basic steel frame, sold for £135, whereas the WCS was £200. I haven't seen a review of one, but the Total Bike review of a WCS was 5*, best of test, and this presumably shares the same geometry at a slightly greater weight.

And hats off here, blimey, the Sheldon or Retrobike?! Amazing stuff! Class!

Just like to say a big thanks to all those taking the time to help me out in finding out more about this frame, it's been extremely educational.

So just to recap, it's Merlin Tange frame built Aug 1997/8 in Asia/Taiwan which was Merlin's basic steel frame, that came with Ritchey dropouts as standard. Who produced more drop outs than the entire UK education system.

There is just one things I'm a little confused about that I'm sure you guy's can clear up, is tange a form of chromely or not, just with Anthony saying basic steel makes me think of something heavy, were as this frame is light weight and is the first bike I've owned in 20+ years, and I'm sure when we talked about bikes made of basic steel back then, was like the equivalent of a pack of bricks with wheels attached.

I've also noticed where the seat post enters the frame, it has a slight curve, which you can see clearly in the second picture i originally posted, is this consistent to a Merlin Tange frame of that period, because I've not been able to find another picture with the same design as yet.

So where do i go from here with this bike, the truth is I've been riding it the last few days and it's grown on me fast, even in it's present state, it's a smooth ride, it has XT rear Mech, LX front Mech and crankset, Rockshox Judy Race Forks i think dating back to 1999, Mavic XM Rims with DT Swiss Competition Spokes, hope front hub, and Shimano rear, Hope Hydraulic front Brake, Azonic bars and X-Lite machined headset. It's a light bike fast and responsive, and I'm 45 years of age, so somewhat retro myself, so we suit each other well :). So I've decided to give it the full works and get it powder coated, as the frame seems like the enamel has come away in places or something, as I've tried showing you in a picture. And whilst the frame is sent away, ill do my best in getting the rest cleaned up and serviced the best i can, so any tips on cleaning old parts again would be much appreciated. So all being well ill be married to this bike for the next 10 years or so :).

When i start, ill probably open a new thread showing progress and looking for any guidance as i go.

Big thanks again to you all.

SDC12641.jpg

SDC12646.jpg

ted ringer":3gbdxph2 said:
There is just one things I'm a little confused about that I'm sure you guy's can clear up, is tange a form of chromely or not, just with Anthony saying basic steel makes me think of something heavy, were as this frame is light weight and is the first bike I've owned in 20+ years, and I'm sure when we talked about bikes made of basic steel back then, was like the equivalent of a pack of bricks with wheels attached.
Tange was at that time the leading manufacturer of steel bike tubes. I was just differentiating between Tange Prestige, which was the highest form of heat-treated tube that Merlin used for the WCS, and Tange MTB, which I assume this frame may be. Tange MTB is not heat-treated, but still a very good double-butted cromoly, way above the level of the bikes you mention. I would guess the weight of the frame to be around 4.5lbs? Whereas a WCS was 4.2 and I guess those basic hi-tensile steel frames were around 6-7lbs.

I've also noticed where the seat post enters the frame, it has a slight curve, which you can see clearly in the second picture i originally posted, is this consistent to a Merlin Tange frame of that period, because I've not been able to find another picture with the same design as yet.
I noticed that, but I think it's just a function of the particular manufacturer's approach to mitring/finishing their tubes. Tubes come in standard lengths and manufacurers cut them to size. They generally finish them flat, but some liked to have a curve. Perhaps thought it looked better.

I would say this doesn't look exactly like the standard Merlin TDB from that time - as has been said, they normally had spiral-butted top and down tubes, but I still think this is most likely a Merlin TDB, perhaps they just ordered a batch as a variation on the normal pattern.

So I've decided to give it the full works and get it powder coated, as the frame seems like the enamel has come away in places or something, as I've tried showing you in a picture.
It's a plated frame, so I think with a bit of elbow grease it would have been fine and that way you could have retained the original decals. However it's your bike, and if you fancy a powder-coated frame then go for it.

Thanks Anthony, I'd like to keep the original look, but I've already applied a fair bit of elbow grease on a couple of areas of the bike, one of those being in the picture I've posted, but can't seem to get it looking any better then the picture shows. Maybe i need a better cleaner/polishing agent, have you or anyone got any advice on what products are best for the job, and ill give it another go.

Thanks

I would say this doesn't look exactly like the standard Merlin TDB from that time - as has been said, they normally had spiral-butted top and down tubes, but I still think this is most likely a Merlin TDB, perhaps they just ordered a batch as a variation on the normal pattern.

I wonder just how many of these frames they produced? Mine only has a spiral downtube, the Ebay pic looks like both tubes, and this frame none.

I thought mine was rather early '93 or so, any way of dating these (or I'll dig out some old MBUKs and find some Merlin ads :) )

ted ringer":1eiebey5 said:
I'd like to keep the original look, but I've already applied a fair bit of elbow grease on a couple of areas of the bike, one of those being in the picture I've posted, but can't seem to get it looking any better then the picture shows. Maybe i need a better cleaner/polishing agent, have you or anyone got any advice on what products are best for the job, and ill give it another go.
I'm not an expert, but there are plenty of threads on here about how to restore plated frames, especially the Orange P7 of course. I think most of the damage in the photo is to a clear coat that is over the plating, so presumably you could remove the existing lacquer while leaving the plating, polish the plating, repair any minor areas of surface rust and either re-lacquer it or leave it polished and waxed.

I had one of these new from Merlin.

Mine had a "Tange Ultimate Superlight" decal and was a very good frame for a bargain price.

that is a really good bike you have there. maybe change the stem for a ritchey one.
found this thread really helpful as trying to identify my own merlin malt frame but alloy rather than your lovely steel one. mine was manufactured in the same month and year as yours by chance.

great handling on these bikes and lots of fun. oke ep us all posted on progress

Old Merlin Ads:

From 1996.
Merlin T.D.B
Tange Double Butted inc forks - £99.95
Tange Double Butted, Electroplate titanium finish, Ritchey Dropouts, inc forks - £124.95
Fuji Stout Light spiral double butted tubing, electroplate titanium finish, inc forks - £135.95
Ritchey WCS frames, electroplate titanium finish - £199.95 no forks.
Ballistic Ritchey WCS, electroplate finish, £239.95, no forks.

Steel Tange Prestige frames from Merlin with triple butted forks were £199. Painted Blue.

EDIT this has appeared on EBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merlin-Ta...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3cc9cd1fa5

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back