Please help...washer is threatening my Raleigh Mustang!

Re:

It's not the first time I'm been associated with weirdness! Haha!!! Thanks for the replies...ultimately I think that conversion kit and a modern BB kit like that Shimano is a great idea and the way to go, but I'm going to try the washer from that BMX BB kit since everything else looks in good order and I have the other parts. I'll then look to upgrade as I play about with the bike while it's up and running...I'm looking to turn this into a sort of mountain bike/town bike as I go...with mudguards, raised bars, panniers etc over time. I'll post some pics when the bike's up and running...got the BMX kit on order currently.

Actually this odd BB set up makes a lot of sense to me the more I scratch my head about it...I got the Mustang in about 1988, and since Raleigh probably had a tonne of old BMX Burner parts hanging around in this era it was probably cost effective to use them up.

Update...turns out the washer and nut on the BMX crank kits are too big. Looks like my Mustang uses a BMX size bearing, cups and race/dustcover, but the Mustang axle is thinner than the BMX one-piece. Therefore the bore through the middle is smaller, and thus uses a washer and nut with a smaller diameter. However, that's not a problem as I'm also trying to do up my old Burner and can use the parts there instead anyway.

I did then spot this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMX-BIKE-CYCL ... 35e8034b95

That might be more the thing I'm after.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back