Please Help Me Identify This Freehub

hookooekoo

Senior Retro Guru
I have a freehub that I'm trying to identify. It's about 10 years old and came from an Edinburgh Cycle CoOp bike (one of their own 'Revolution' branded bikes). Also, the bearings are a tiny bit rough on the drive side, so I am trying to remove the freehub body in the hope of finding a replacement. But it won't budge! It's a 12mm hex drive inside the freehub body, and I've been leaning on a 24 inch breaker bar, but it won't move. Do some manufacturers install freehub bodies with high strength thread lock so that they can never be disassembled? I don't want to break the hub, my tooling, or my fingers! Maybe I should give up now, and just ride it with slightly rough bearings until it's so rough the hub needs replacing!

mystery_hub_01.jpg

mystery_hub_02.jpg

Depending on which side the 'bolt' part is on, it might need to be turned the opposite way to what you're expecting. Some need a deep Allen key from the non-drive-side and turn anti-clockwise (looking from the non-drive-side). Others have the bolt on the freehub side, so Allen key goes in there and turns anti-clockwise from that side.
Basically try turning it the other way.

Allen key in vice and then turn the wheel.

Try this.

Another thing that helps is if you put the tyre and tube back on, lean on it so it grips the ground and put long a bit of pipe over your allen key. They can get stuck on gert tight.

Back