Please help ID my Steel Saracen frame

Gravy Monster":fo4zlwlb said:
Interesting :? Saracen throw another anomaly into unknown depts of their manufacturing :LOL:

I would say its of a 92 vintage , my 92 Conquest has the same square bridge but is an alloy frame, this square bridge is not on the 1991 Version.

Only thing there James is that apart from the 'leftover' Sahara frames, none of the other 1992 bikes had the internal cable routing.
Pierced top tube was king in 1992 as well.

I reckon that the boys in the Saracen factory probably had a bucket of random bits they used every now and then in between running frame numbers through their enigma machine.

Thanks again. The depth of knowledge on here is phenomenal!

I've measured the stays and I think they are 16 & 3/4, that's centre to centre. Which suggests not a Sahara. 17" if I measure to the end of the drop out. I think the former is the correct measure.

Also I've looked a bit loser and can see some of th original Yellow paint beneath the white, which. Looks similar to the pics above of ds Paul's sahara.

Either way it weighs 6.5 lbs, has a seat post size which doesn't match any I have in the box, 28. Something? Shim it will have to be.

Thanks again for your help, I'll post when it' built up.

My sahara frame weight 6.5 lbs, so would agree thats what it is. And mine is same as yellow above.

6.5 Lbs according to our bathroom scales which my wife assures me "always read a pound or two over" :roll:

Not one for the weight weenies...

I've never dared weigh my Sahara frame for fear of damaging the bathroom scales.
I've never actually measured the chainstays either.

The seatpost on mine however is a 26.4mm. If yours takes a larger diameter post then it suggests thinner wall tubing, at least on the seat-tube.

What we can deduce from this is open to question.

Good old Saracen eh, with their 'keep you all guessing' bike production ethos.

My identical sahara to drystonepauls is 26.4 seatpost. Well, a 26.4 stamped one came out, bought a replacement and its a bit tight to get in. More like a 26.2.

Still, its a saracen. Any early saracen is cool by my book.

Back