Play in freehub

eric_james

Senior Retro Guru
Have got this bike and there is some play in the freehub, have checked another wheel with the cassette removed and it's not got play like that
The actual hub seems fine, I've not replaced a freehub before and don't know if it's repairable or not
Thanks for any info

Attachments

• freehub.jpg
    freehub.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 15
It’s normally 10/11mm hex to remove the freehub with the axle removed. Once removed, sometimes you can peel away the seal to see what state the bearings are in.

If the hub is non-shimano then probably a formula originated item

there are a set of spacers that take up slack, they wear out.

is it enough to affect the gears? if not, don't worry about it, it doesn't matter.

I've stripped and serviced a fair few shimano style free hubs, they aren't hard, there was a thread on here about it, I think it was @enc who was having issues, a search might be helpful.

found it.

piccy on page 2 of a stripped sealed bearing version.

Those spline look pretty nasty, is the cassette moving on them?
If you do strip it down, I recommend doing it over a washing up basin to stop the bearings making their bid for freedom. They will be magnetically attracted to the underside of your fridge, car, work bench etc. 🤣🤣

Those spline look pretty nasty, is the cassette moving on them?
If you do strip it down, I recommend doing it over a washing up basin to stop the bearings making their bid for freedom. They will be magnetically attracted to the underside of your fridge, car, work bench etc. 🤣🤣
Take note of picture I posted on other thread. Oven tray is not for looks. Lol. I have magnet under it from an old hard drive.

Back