Pitting in cups and cones - any tips?

02gf74":1zu1i47d said:
Just a thought, it may be possible to press or pull the old bearing out then get hub machined to take one of the new fangled sealed races. You would need matching axle made up..... but almost certainly be cheaper to buy replacement.

An interesting idea, Once perfected you'd have virtually endless stock of hubs to use. There may even be a marketing opportunity there...a retro enthusiast's dream come true.

Personally i'd just buy a replacement wheelset and have done with it but that's just me and i'm sure you'll decide what's the best option in your own time ..

The Bear":2e92tin8 said:
02gf74":2e92tin8 said:
Just a thought, it may be possible to press or pull the old bearing out then get hub machined to take one of the new fangled sealed races. You would need matching axle made up..... but almost certainly be cheaper to buy replacement.

An interesting idea, Once perfected you'd have virtually endless stock of hubs to use. There may even be a marketing opportunity there...a retro enthusiast's dream come true.

I have already seen someone do that. It is possible. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Edit: found the thread in the german forum. Pictures on page two and three:

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/xt-nabe- ... t-12153421

As I said earlier, buying second hand hubs is an argument waiting to happen. Unless the seller actually took the hubs apart to check the bearings, of course.
My rear wheel was running perfectly smooth too, but the hub and the cone are clearly showing that it's dying.

The Bear":3mxis222 said:
Interesting idea indeed, but a bit difficult on the rear drive side because the bearing cup there is part of the freewheel. that being said, finding a NOS 7spd freewheel is nowhere near as hard as finding a NOS hub .

On the non-drive side there should be room. 30mm diameter and around 14mm depth, for a 10mm axle. I should be able to find a tapered bearing that fits within those dimensions and be strong enough to carry the bike+rider during a wheelie.
Getting the cup out shouldn't be too much of an issue either. It has a smaller inner diameter than the hub itself, so a smaller version of the classical headset removal tool and perhaps some heat (alu expands much faster than cromoly) should do the trick.

So theoretically on the rear it should be possible and probably not that hard too.

That German guy does have a nice fix, although I'm sceptical because the bearing isn't really supported by much of an edge on the inside and it appears to be a regular bearing rather than a tapered one. Wheels generally use tapered bearings because those are much better at dealing with sideways forces.

I guess I'll just ride these hubs into the ground and build me a nice 36h wheelset in the meantime. Those hubs and a nice matching set of rims are still easy enough to find NOS at a reasonable price.

The cups are replaceable. They're only a few bucks. The crux is finding them.

Latest posts

Back