PINK '95 Saracen Powertrax for my girlfriend: FINISHED

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":3s5ydjwn said:
the LH thread is on the right side of the bb shell and the RH thread is on the left side of the shell, so the only way to fit the bottom bracket was in through the wrong side and then the cranks wouldnt fit.

Sounds weird to me. Have you asked the advice of your friendly local bike mechanic?

Re:

That would be me :LOL: and im a bit puzzled. I dont really have any bike shops near me, apart from halfords and go outdoors. Asking the opinion of either seems like a waste of time tbh

Sean

SEANSTEPHENS":l8kgr9st said:
That would be me :LOL: and im a bit puzzled. I dont really have any bike shops near me, apart from halfords and go outdoors. Asking the opinion of either seems like a waste of time tbh

Sean

No bike shops in Bristol? I can see a gap in the market!

I'm a bit sleep deprived today so I reserve the right to get this totally wrong, but:

Assuming a sealed bottom bracket the main bit goes in first on the R/H (drive) side, and it has a backwards thread - anti clockwise to tighten. Once that's in (tight) you put the left hand cup in, which has a normal thread, clockwise to tighten (not too tight). Use anti-seize or grease when you install it and go easy to start (use your fingers) to avoid damaging the thread.

Right?

Can't work out how or why it would only want to go in the wrong way round as you describe... if the thread is damaged it might be possible to chase it or as you say use a threadless one, but I can't help but wonder whether you're just getting mixed up... :?

bluetomgold":24zouwif said:
SEANSTEPHENS":24zouwif said:

Sean

No bike shops in Bristol? I can see a gap in the market!

I'm a bit sleep deprived today so I reserve the right to get this totally wrong, but:

Assuming a sealed bottom bracket the main bit goes in first on the R/H (drive) side, and it has a backwards thread - anti clockwise to tighten. Once that's in (tight) you put the left hand cup in, which has a normal thread, clockwise to tighten (not too tight). Use anti-seize or grease when you install it and go easy to start (use your fingers) to avoid damaging the thread.

Right?

Can't work out how or why it would only want to go in the wrong way round as you describe... if the thread is damaged it might be possible to chase it or as you say use a threadless one, but I can't help but wonder whether you're just getting mixed up... :?
whether im just getting mixed up? Seriously? Im an experienced cycle technition, im perfectly compitent at fitting a bottom bracket :facepalm: :roll: :LOL:

Yes there are cycle shops in bristol, not that near to me but closer to the centre. I doubt i could be produced any answers i couldnt arrive at myself though... Like i say the frame was 21 years old, unused and unpainted. There must be a reason for that, id imagine it was a reject and for obvious reasons... Ive not given up on it though, i promised my girlfriend a pink bike and a pink bike she will receive :)

Sean

SEANSTEPHENS":2ntm06th said:
whether im just getting mixed up? Seriously? Im an experienced cycle technition, im perfectly compitent at fitting a bottom bracket :facepalm: :roll: :LOL:

Yes there are cycle shops in bristol, not that near to me but closer to the centre. I doubt i could be produced any answers i couldnt arrive at myself though... Like i say the frame was 21 years old, unused and unpainted. There must be a reason for that, id imagine it was a reject and for obvious reasons... Ive not given up on it though, i promised my girlfriend a pink bike and a pink bike she will receive :)

Sean

Fair play dude, no offence intended, just trying to help. Good luck with it!

bluetomgold":1xstqfra said:
SEANSTEPHENS":1xstqfra said:

Sean

Fair play dude, no offence intended, just trying to help. Good luck with it!
no worries, my response sounded more blunt than intended when i read it back.... Forums ey? :LOL:

Anyway watch this space :p

Re:

Very interesting...where did you find this frame hiding?
I'm sure you have found the solution by now, but if you're using the correct size square taper bottom bracket,how can the crankset not fit properly? There's something else going on there if that's the case.
But maybe you're using a modern sram crankset! Who knows.

Regarding italian threads, a horrible hack to fix a bsa bottom bracket shell with mangled threads is to clean it out and cut new italian threads. The italian diameter is slightly larger so this works. That is one of the things i wish i'd known when i scrapped my old gt.

jmgk":3g6t85g3 said:
I'm sure you have found the solution by now, but if you're using the correct size square taper bottom bracket,how can the crankset not fit properly? There's something else going on there if that's the case.

Regarding italian threads, a horrible hack to fix a bsa bottom bracket shell with mangled threads is to clean it out and cut new italian threads. The italian diameter is slightly larger so this works. That is one of the things i wish i'd known when i scrapped my old gt.

Hi jmgk :) the frame was from ebay...

Its really strange, ive not come across this before and ive worked on a lot of bikes. although the thread is reversed on one side as its meant to be, the threads are on opposite sides to what they should be... The bb i set aside for it was an ordinary shimano square taper cartridge which has been used quite happilly in another frame.

And yeah i think the italian shells are roughly 36mm and english 35mm

Sean

SEANSTEPHENS":1ll7x4d1 said:
jmgk":1ll7x4d1 said:

Hi jmgk :) the frame was from ebay...

Its really strange, ive not come across this before and ive worked on a lot of bikes. although the thread is reversed on one side as its meant to be, the threads are on opposite sides to what they should be... The bb i set aside for it was an ordinary shimano square taper cartridge which has been used quite happilly in another frame.

And yeah i think the italian shells are roughly 36mm and english 35mm

Sean

Here's an idea: put the chainset and mech on the left hand side. The only serious downside I can think of is she'll have to ride it backwards. Sure she'll get used to it.

A better idea: build it up with a single chainset and a shorter BB. Then it won't matter which way round the BB goes.

Back