PEUGEOT PY10 ? EBAY BARGAIN

marshalllucky

Retro Guru
Hi all Peugeot fans, I just bought this old peugeot. I originally saw it and could tell it was a high end bike as it had the simplex dropouts , no mudguard eyes and some pretty decent kit on it . I originally thought it had been resprayed ( it hasnt) as I had never seen a turqoise peugeot ( not metallic solid paint ! ). on the ebay listing the bike looked like an old club cyclists bike, but I could see there was no rust just layers of grime, flat rotted tyres, an ancient dynamo light set and all the signs this had been unused for years. . A couple of days later the seller messaged me to say the original purchaser had pulled out and she wanted rid so did I still want it ? , I snapped it up . What puzzled me was the rainbow decals which I always thought were introduced in 1984 but the frame looked an older vintage as it had a square plastic headbadge and the seatstays and lugs looked like a Prestige frameset as all the 84- on higher end bikes I thought had rear`shot in` seat stays The frame geometry,lugs, dropouts suggested to me this was a 531 or 753 frame , I originally thought it may be special order 753 as it had no chrome but I now think it is 531pro as it has a 26.4 seat post (same as my ANC 531 pro ) . I know it has not been resprayed,the finish is too good and there are no signs of any old paint it has chromed dropouts on the forks. SO either this has been very expertly resprayed which I seriously doubt or it was a special order colour which would make it a PY10? . I have taken the rainbow decal off the crossbar and it was def a factory decal as it took ages to get the glue marks off. Rest of the spec is pleasing ,stronglight bottom bracket and headset ( both silky smooth, no play) Ofmega strada chainset, simplex seat post, cinelli cars, 3ttt stem , CLB brakes with Mafac drilled levers. Wheels are now very shiny Mavic MA2 with simplex hubs and a maillard sachs racing block. I have stripped all the crap off it , and given it a bit of a clean up and the paint is virtually unmarked . Just need some new tyres, all cables , bar tape, decent saddle , new chain and hopefully my old Peugeot will ride again.

Attachments

• turqpug2.jpg
    turqpug2.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 962
  • ebaybluepug22.jpg
    ebaybluepug22.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 961
  • pug2269.jpg
    pug2269.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 599
Re:

Great buy for £30, my work colleague would be dead jealous as he loves all things Peugeot.

I've seen Pertus frames in this colour scheme but the 26.4mm seatpost dimension doesn't suggest Reynolds 753 tubing.

Peugeot had their own tubing, Carbolite 103 which seems similar to Reynolds 531.

Hope this helps

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Re: Re:

TheElectronKid":nnp5bbs6 said:
Great buy for £30, my work colleague would be dead jealous as he loves all things Peugeot.

I've seen Pertus frames in this colour scheme but the 26.4mm seatpost dimension doesn't suggest Reynolds 753 tubing.

Peugeot had their own tubing, Carbolite 103 which seems similar to Reynolds 531.

Hope this helps

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Hi, Yes I am aware of carbolite but along with Peugeots HLE tubing these were reserved for the lower spec sports bikes. Carbolite frames were lugless and economically made and you certainly would not find simplex dropouts (front fork droupout chromed) , rear wheel adjusters , and lugs like these. Stronglight bottom bracket and Stronglight/Spidel headset would not feature either. No I am convinced this is def a Reynolds frame, I have already dismissed 753 so I am feeling this is 531 . I have owned loads of Peugeots since the early 80`s so my opinion is based on my pretty good knowledge of Peugeots but I know there is always someone who knows more than me , I just wanted to court some informed opinions.

Back