Peugeot 708

Resurrection time - can I ask the OP how you've gotten on with the frame? Did you ride it?
I'm considering a local 708 myself, and as a heavier rider I'm lead to believe 708 is a degree stiffer than many good old 531 frames so could potetintially be a good match for me

Not the OP here but have some info that you may find useful.
I have owned or ridden bikes with each of the following tubesets.
708 was available in two incarnations; 708 Classic had standard sized tubes (25.4 top and 28.6 down). 708 Touristique had an oversized top tube (28.6).
As well as 708 you might want to consider 731OS and 725. Both these use oversized top (28.6) and down (32.4) tubes and are significantly less flexible when applying power out of the saddle in comparison to, say, 531c or 753. It follows then that they are very suitable for the heavier and/or more powerful rider.
FWIW, 531 Super Tourist started life with a standard sized top tube then adopted the oversized tube. My experience suggests 708 was the more lively ride however, my 708 frame was a bit of an oddity (possibly a development frame) with some non-standard tube profiles and it ultimately fractured - something I have not heard about from other 708 owners.

Not the OP here but have some info that you may find useful.
I have owned or ridden bikes with each of the following tubesets.
708 was available in two incarnations; 708 Classic had standard sized tubes (25.4 top and 28.6 down). 708 Touristique had an oversized top tube (28.6).
As well as 708 you might want to consider 731OS and 725. Both these use oversized top (28.6) and down (32.4) tubes and are significantly less flexible when applying power out of the saddle in comparison to, say, 531c or 753. It follows then that they are very suitable for the heavier and/or more powerful rider.
FWIW, 531 Super Tourist started life with a standard sized top tube then adopted the oversized tube. My experience suggests 708 was the more lively ride however, my 708 frame was a bit of an oddity (possibly a development frame) with some non-standard tube profiles and it ultimately fractured - something I have not heard about from other 708 owners.
Thanks for sharing this useful info, I needed a better understanding of Reynolds 700 series tubing.

Back